Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Spunky
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » One thing the wealthy cannot buy is admission to HEAVEN. God doesn't think much of them. He favors the poor. Does anyone know WHY?

One thing the wealthy cannot buy is admission to HEAVEN. God doesn't think much of them. He favors the poor. Does anyone know WHY?

Posted - May 9, 2017

Responses

I suppose it is the usual meme about the way to get rich being by cheating other people (so they become poor).

But at the same time uncommonly proud of King Solomon and his 500 wives ;-) This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at May 9, 2017 8:40 AM MDT
      May 9, 2017 8:37 AM MDT

Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

— Matthew 6:19–21,24 (KJV)

May 9, 2017 4:16 PM MDT

((hugs)) :):):) Thank you for your reply kj! :) As you might have gathered I LOVE IT! :)
      May 10, 2017 6:39 AM MDT

• Poor people need Gods more than rich people do.
    Religious dogma is always directed at the unfortunate, the suffering, the indigent. Who better to target than the less advantaged? 

"Religion is recognized by the common man as true; by the wise as false; to the rulers as useful."
      --Seneca the Younger

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping the common people quiet";
    "Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich".
      --Napoleon Bonaparte This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at May 10, 2017 6:27 AM MDT
      May 9, 2017 4:56 PM MDT

You stacked the deck Z but I understand why. You were not fair in your assessment and you could have been but chose not to be. Your beliefs have a right to wend their way through your answers. Here is a shocking thing. There are many intelligent/brilliant/genius folks who believe in God. I know. You don't want to hear that because it doesn't comport with your beliefs so of course you will continue to believe whatever comforts you and makes sense to you. It is quite arrogant of believers to look down on Atheists in my opinion and  equally arrogant of Atheists to look down on believers. Why they feel a need to do that I have no idea. People believe what makes sense to them. Do you look down on those whose favorite ice cream is different from yours or favorite musical genre or literary genre or style of dress? If I like asparagus and you don't is that a demerit/wart or is it simply my truth? One wonders about the need to look down upon people for whatever reason.  It's done politically and socially and financially as well. Looking down upon others seems to elevate those who do it in their minds or they wouldn't. I don't think it does that it all. It just exposes them for being so rigid in their beliefs and so certain they are RIGHT that there is no room for those whose beliefs differ. I say all this quite respectfully to you though you really were rather disrespectful to me in what you chose to quote. Yes. I believe in God. I was a Sunday School teacher. You choose to label me as  "common" and also I suspect as suffering, indigent, less advantaged. I see no compliment there. I see no recognition that each of us has the same right to believe whatever makes sense to us without having to endure insult/condescension from those who see things differently. I think I beat that dead horse enough. Thank  you for your reply. I disagree with every word you wrote for reasons I have already stated. I tried to do so respectfully. I tried. Happy Wednesday to thee Z! :)
      May 10, 2017 6:37 AM MDT

• Rosie,
    My response was entirely relevant to your question. I didn't say anything that I could not prove with some tedious statistics. I made no statement of looking down on anyone. Thats a misapprehension on your part. 
    There surely are many fine, intelligent and remarkable people who are believers. I've known and enjoy the company of a lot of these people. 

Btw, Your emotionally charged response was WAY off the deep end, methinks you doth protesteth too much. Typical commoner. 

Think whatever you want, I won't lose any sleep over it. 
      May 10, 2017 4:04 PM MDT

God has no problems with rich people. The only problem is when a person chooses to rely on their riches instead of God. Or if their riches are ill-gotten gains. 
      May 10, 2017 4:48 PM MDT