Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Usta be "The Golden Rule". Now it is "whoever has the gold makes the rules". Was it always thus or has something evil come upon us? Why?

Usta be "The Golden Rule". Now it is "whoever has the gold makes the rules". Was it always thus or has something evil come upon us? Why?

Posted - May 10, 2017

Responses

It's been a common theme throughout history; not everywhere or all the time, but certainly very often.
      May 10, 2017 4:46 PM MDT

Hi Rosie~ I'm going to give this a shot.  Please remember, this is Only my opinion.  It is not a reflection on you or your question but rather a way your question entered my brain.   I could be wrong so please know, it is not a direct statement on you.
    O.k. Here it goes. Cross your fingers.  ;)
     From a religious standpoint, in the bible it was:  “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you” (Matt. 7:12).
    I always thought that was a given.  I'm not one that asks much of anything from anyone.  I do think common sense would tell us this truth as stated by Matt. 
    I'm not much of a debater either which would make me a really bad politician but a good realist. 
    I find looking at human nature, we like to have things that are sparkly and things that bring us comfort. We like gold.  The more gold we have, the more we are fooled we can have comfort. 
    To some, this is true.  I find comfort in my husband's love, my friends love and acceptance, and my family.  If the gold makes them happy, so be it.
    If some gold is good enough and helps them survive in today's society, that is realistic. I think it has always been that way.  
    These days some are more blatant about their intentions and demands. 

This post was edited by Merlin at May 10, 2017 5:01 PM MDT
      May 10, 2017 4:58 PM MDT

Good points, Merlin.

That Biblical advice from Matthew is sound even to a non-believer like me.

I think the Bible is also clear on gold / money, saying it is not having money as such that is wrong, but "the love of money". I take that to mean greed and abuse of power that may be given by wealth. If so, perhaps the bad in some people was there before they gained the gold. The gold just helped them to become worse.
      May 10, 2017 5:10 PM MDT

Thank you Durdle and I agree.  Greed and power may be the fuel that feeds the wealth.   I think if you add competition, it makes it even worse.  Does it matter that "The Jones" have a new BMW?  Their successes really shouldn't make a difference in the lives of others and how they grade themselves. To try and outbid and out-do each other is silly sometimes.
    Observation about men and women has also told me competition was much more prominent in men.  Women were much more vicious with words that were personally degrading.  Now-a-days it seems the sexes have equaled on both levels.
    Enough about the bad and let's talk good.  It is nice Durdle to have a chat with you.  I hope to see you again soon on another question :) :) This post was edited by Merlin at May 10, 2017 5:32 PM MDT
      May 10, 2017 5:30 PM MDT

Thank you Merlin!
      May 10, 2017 5:33 PM MDT