Active Now

Element 99
Shuhak
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » If you have ever had to take oxycodone for a pain script, did it make you sleepy or pep you up?

If you have ever had to take oxycodone for a pain script, did it make you sleepy or pep you up?

Posted - May 11, 2017

Responses

I took a percocet after surgery...It did nothing, 4 Ibuprofen did the job. I tossed the percs.
      May 11, 2017 2:05 PM MDT

Interesting. It has helped my pain. 
      May 11, 2017 3:03 PM MDT

• Interesting. Most pain pills have no effect on me at all. One time I ended up in the ER because of my back, after 4 shots of morphine....nothing... she may as well have been giving me saline solution shots for all the good it was doing. 
      May 12, 2017 3:44 AM MDT

The one time I had to take morphine after surgery, it made me throw up.
      May 12, 2017 9:35 AM MDT

Maybe. I've had some hardcore pain killers prescribed, but I can't remember the name. I didn't like it because it gave me a weird buzzing feeling in my head and apparently someone got into the medicine cabinet and took it..
      May 11, 2017 2:10 PM MDT

I would not take it either if gave me buzzing in my head. 
      May 11, 2017 3:03 PM MDT

Yeah, I didn't know if I was getting high off it or what but I didn't like the feeling. It was a very strange sensation.
      May 11, 2017 5:53 PM MDT

• oxycodone NO WAY ... 

Much like Element, I have the same solution, with a twist. When the joint pains are biting hard, due to a physical day, 3 Ibuprofen + 1 Tylenol PM, does the job. 

I've had some major dental work done and stick with this versus anything else. Always takes care of the pain and a nice nap to boot!

*always consult with your doctor first :)
      May 11, 2017 2:35 PM MDT

I usually can do combo of IB and Tylenol but this one was not working. I even tried aspirin with them and nothing. 
      May 11, 2017 3:06 PM MDT

It really helped with the pain.  At first it can make you sleepy, not always. After your body becomes accustomed, it does nothing but help with the pain.  This post was edited by . at May 11, 2017 7:04 PM MDT
      May 11, 2017 2:44 PM MDT

Helped my pain but puts me out in like 30 mins. But my husband takes for his back and it wakes him up. 
      May 11, 2017 3:08 PM MDT

• Look up Quell Pain Relief.  It's an electronic device you strap onto your leg just below the knee, it blocks the nerves that transmit pain from anywhere in the body to the brain. They're using them now in cancer patients. My doctor gave me one to try out, it's a great alternative to medication and works in all but 14% of people.  You can buy them in Target now or order from Amazon which I think is preferable because it's easy to send back if it doesn't work for you.
      May 11, 2017 9:43 PM MDT

I will be good in few days. But will look into for my husband. Thank you.
      May 12, 2017 4:24 AM MDT

When you are down in pain and that is relieved, it is nice to be able to get up and do something, anything. 
      May 12, 2017 2:32 AM MDT

yep
    around 6 years ago 
    had an accident on the job
    and lost three fingers on the 
    left hand.
         Oxycodone Was what they put me on after the 
    Morphine.
         Much too long did I take that stuff.
    Finally got away from it.
    Favorite drug of the Hospitals
    and Drs am thinking...

Oh...sleepy or a pep up right?
    neither
    just took away the pain. This post was edited by Baba at May 11, 2017 7:04 PM MDT
      May 11, 2017 3:35 PM MDT

My husband cut his index finger off about 20 yrs ago...I don't remember what they gave him for pain at home. 
      May 11, 2017 5:55 PM MDT

It didn't affect my wakefulness either way.
      May 11, 2017 3:38 PM MDT

Is weird how the same med effects everyone differently.
      May 11, 2017 5:57 PM MDT

Until I read through this thread, I forgot that at first, when I was still on a high dose, I would be in half-awake state and talked to people who weren't really there. 
      May 11, 2017 7:17 PM MDT

I was given it after my c-sections, my ablation/ ligation last fall, and waaayyyy back when I had my wisdom teeth out too. It always messes with me and knocks me out. Even when I'm told to take it for several days to a week, I usually back off and switch to ibuprofen/ Tylenol alternating within 24 hours. If that isn't working for you, check with your doctor and see how much ibuprofen you can have- the OTC stuff is weak and you can generally take more than the bottle says, but you'd have to check with your doctor to see what you're allowed. 

There are other things you can do to make the pain reduce some, depending on what you're dealing with. Hot/ cold packs can help. Sometimes a bath. Hope you feel better soon!
      May 11, 2017 3:41 PM MDT

• Four IB is equal to one of the prescription IB doctors used to prescribe.
      May 11, 2017 9:37 PM MDT

Thank you. I have been taking IB as well to help with swelling but will be good in few days. Had to go back to work so didn't take any during the day yesterday. Made it with ice,  IB and Tylenol. (3-IB and 2 Tylenol) 

I had 2 C-sections but they gave me 800 IB. 
      May 12, 2017 4:45 AM MDT

I was addicted to the stuff for years due to severe sciatica from a ruptured disc - and when that no longer cut it, I was stepped up to methadone. It dulled the pain sufficiently to allow me to function at all. You need a particular type of prescription to get narcotics legally in Australia, most GPs aren't licensed to prescribe them and those that do need to send an official request to the regulatory body to get clearance if repeats are required for a particular patient.
    I was unable to get them at one point, my doctor was on holiday when I ran out. I couldn't sleep for a week and was hallucinating.

So in answer to your question, neither. It didn't "make me sleepy" although it did permit me to sleep, it also allowed me to walk rather than lie flat, writhing in agony.
      May 11, 2017 3:59 PM MDT

My husband has back problems they give him these. He only takes if really needs it. Uses IB and Tylenol to cope most of the time. He is worried about addiction. 
    Hope your pain is better.
      May 12, 2017 4:53 AM MDT