Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Music » Should musicians interact with the audience or is it good enough if they just show up and perform?

Should musicians interact with the audience or is it good enough if they just show up and perform?

I was at a concert recently and the band never said a word to the audience. Not even the lead singer. They just went on stage, did their songs, and left. I thought it was odd because every other musician I've ever seen communicated with the audience and also with the band throughout the show.

Posted - May 13, 2017

Responses

Musicians needn't but entertainers absolutely have to. It's the main reason why Vinnie Vincent didn't work well with KISS - technically too good a musician but no stage presence, and KISS aren't about the music, they're about the show.
    Sounds like you got gypped - you might as well forget about seeing the band play live and just buy the studio album, because that's what they gave you. At least with the album you can play it again.
      May 13, 2017 3:04 AM MDT

I wouldn't say I got gypped- the concert was pretty cool overall. I just thought the lack of interaction was odd. It was a "band" calling itself Poptone, which was the people from the 70s/ 80s bands Bauhaus/ Tones on Tail/ Love and Rockets playing their old stuff, so I find it doubtful another tour is coming around after this one. I read an interview where one of the guys said he hated to do tours, but woke up one day and decided he needed to hit the road again, so he got it set up... kind of odd- must be an old rocker thing- needed to feel the rush from the crowds again or something. But, no album could duplicate the experience, even if they weren't exactly chatty.
      May 13, 2017 9:54 AM MDT

Music works better if there is interaction with the audience.

I do church organ playing and you simply have to be aware of the congregation. 
      May 13, 2017 3:50 AM MDT

Of course- always gotta be ready for that encore!
      May 13, 2017 9:55 AM MDT

it comes alive when you connect with the audience
      May 13, 2017 7:27 AM MDT

• "I believe that is directly related to the type of music that they are performing." 

May 13, 2017 6:25 PM MDT