Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » If you were planning to attend a peaceful protest and found out that a FEW others were planning on violence/looting, would you still go?

If you were planning to attend a peaceful protest and found out that a FEW others were planning on violence/looting, would you still go?

~

Posted - May 13, 2017

Responses

• Nope! A peaceful meaningful protest is just fine but looting and violence is not. Wouldn't have a thing to do with it! Looting makes me sick!
      May 13, 2017 7:35 AM MDT

No. The Phoenix area has had a few in the past 12 months that I've wanted to attend, but I didn't because I read some of the Twitter comments beforehand. The police out here don't mess around. It doesn't matter if there's only a few bad eggs. The police control the crowd and do what they have to do. From a philosophical standpoint, the violence/ looting would ruin the event, but also, I can't think of a cause that would be worth getting hurt or arrested for. The protests aren't really where change happens anyway.
      May 13, 2017 9:30 AM MDT

No, I would not.  Then again, I'm not a public protester.  I am always leery of large, angry crowds. 
      May 13, 2017 11:06 AM MDT