Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » I like whole-fruit jam. Never saw the point of jelly. It's just thickened juice. Are you a jelly or jam fan? Why ?

I like whole-fruit jam. Never saw the point of jelly. It's just thickened juice. Are you a jelly or jam fan? Why ?

Posted - May 17, 2017

Responses

I have never purchased a jar of jelly.....only jams and preserves.  I don't really like them but keep a fresh jar around in case someone else might want it.  I have orange marmalade in pantry ow.  I do like it OK but it will stay unopened until company asks for it.  The only person regularly here besides me doesn't eat it either.
      May 17, 2017 12:56 PM MDT

The most delicious jam I have ever had was Quince. My grandmother used to make it and an English firm used to manufacture but I haven't seen any for years. We love apricot jam and any kind of berry jam as well. I like marmalade more than Jim does. Ever have grapefruit marmalade or lime marmalade? We've tried both and they're good but we still prefer orange. We don't eat as much jam as we used to because we both have been diagnosed as pre-diabetic so we cut back on sugary things  but I always have some on hand. Thank you for your reply Thriftymaid and Happy Thursday! :)
      May 18, 2017 7:06 AM MDT

I don't use any of them...too much sugar.
      May 17, 2017 4:16 PM MDT

We used to eat a lot more jam regularly Ele but both Jim and I have been diagnosed as "pre-diabetic" so we
    cut back on sugary things. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday! :)
      May 18, 2017 7:07 AM MDT

As with anything I like, I'm not supposed to (too much sugar). 

Jeely seems terribly oldfashioned. Even the traditional jeely piece was usually made with proper Jam.  

This post was edited by Malizz at May 18, 2017 7:07 AM MDT
      May 17, 2017 4:50 PM MDT

Both Jim and I were diagnosed as "pre-diabetic" so we have both cut back a lot on jam and other sugary things. Thank you for your reply Malizz and Happy Thursday! :)
      May 18, 2017 7:08 AM MDT

If you behave yourself you should be able to keep out of their clutches for a few years yet. 
      May 23, 2017 5:19 AM MDT

What we call "jelly", you call "jello" so the question doesn't work outside the US. I prefer fruit conserve.
      May 17, 2017 6:21 PM MDT

I did not know that. We also call jam "preserves". I have heard the word "conserve" as well but have never used it that I can recall.  So though the packages are titled JELLO you still call it jelly? Why? Thank you for your reply Sbf and Happy Thursday! :)
      May 18, 2017 7:10 AM MDT

Nope, the packages are titled "Jelly". "Jello" is EXCLUSIVELY an American thing as far as I can tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJZ2w6Q_Uww
      May 18, 2017 5:39 PM MDT

That's what I was thinking of Slartibartfast, Jelly lol!
      May 18, 2017 6:31 PM MDT

Do you carry American "Jello" in your markets Sbf? Thank you for providing a photo of your "jelly". Our jelly comes in a jar ready to eat! We have to cook Jello as  you cook your jelly!  Happy Friday! :)
      May 19, 2017 2:57 AM MDT

I haven't seen Jello personally, it may be in some specialty stores that sell "Americana". I only know about it from friends who have spent time in the States.
    I don't know if there's a lot of "cooking'" involved exactly - dissolve the crystals in boiling water, chuck it in the fridge and wait for it to set.
      May 19, 2017 5:56 AM MDT

You have to dissolve it THOROUGHLY Sbf. If you don't a nasty thick virtually unchewable portion remains on the bottom. So when I get the hot water to boiling I put the jello powder in and let it boil stirring furiously to make sure it melts completely! Trust me. It is something you don't want to experience eating! :)  I haven't made jello in years though. We stay away from all artificially colored food!Thank you for your reply! :)
      May 19, 2017 6:14 AM MDT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2_2wX5GUcM

It must be Jelly cos you know Jam don't shake!

I haven't had jelly for ages, my mum used to make it when we were younger, I also loved eating it while it was still in it's concentrated cube form. I like the texture of it in my mouth too.
    But I use jam the most.
      May 17, 2017 6:32 PM MDT

Even as a kid I preferred jam .  Thank you for your reply PepperP and Happy Thursday to thee! :)
      May 18, 2017 7:11 AM MDT

Don't Care as long as there is not fruit in it. 
      May 17, 2017 6:48 PM MDT

You do care. Jam has fruit in it m2c so you're a jelly person. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday! :)
      May 18, 2017 7:12 AM MDT

When I was a kid, mother made strawberry whole fruit jam. It was mostly fruit and was on every PB&J sandwich I ate through elementary school.  I got tired of it and demanded grape for a change. Welch's. 
      May 17, 2017 10:00 PM MDT

Mostly fruit mom's homemade strawberry jam and you got tired of it? Oh my gosh! I can't almost even pretend to get that bh. How can you get tired of eating pure heaven? :(  I have always disliked grape jelly. It seemed pointless to me even at a young age. But I did like grape sherbet! Go figure! Thank you for your reply and Happy  Thursday! :)
      May 18, 2017 7:14 AM MDT

I'm a jelly person: grape, jalapeño, and  strawberry. Then I like marmalade: peach, apricot. 
      May 17, 2017 10:17 PM MDT

I like chewy/crunchy Marguerite so maybe that's why I always buy jam or preserves. Have you tasted Quince jam? Oh my gosh it's beyond heavenly. My grandmother used to make it. An English firm used to make it too (I forget the name) but I haven't seen it anywhere for years! We love apricot. I have never tasted jalapeno jelly. I like jalapenos and am especially fond of jalapeno potato chips (crunch). Jim likes grape. I don't so much. Strawberry jam is fine but you see it all the time! I think Apricot is our favorite though recently we discovered a 3-berry jam that's also quite delish. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday! :)
      May 18, 2017 7:02 AM MDT

There's also dessert Jelly (that famously wobbles on the plate) to go with custard. A staple in my bachelor days.  This post was edited by Malizz at May 22, 2017 3:43 AM MDT
      May 18, 2017 8:52 AM MDT

Custard! My mom used to make baked custard which my younger sister and I adored and couldn't get enough of. She could have made it daily and we would never have tired of it. She would bake it in a water bath and it always came out perfectly! Some years ago my sister tried to duplicate it. It tasted liked scrambled eggs! It was not pleasant! So Mom's baked custard will have to remain in our memories! :)
      May 22, 2017 3:45 AM MDT