Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Thebigd
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » I think it is VERY CLASSY when you care enough to apologize when you offend someone. A very classy thing to do. Do you? Why?

I think it is VERY CLASSY when you care enough to apologize when you offend someone. A very classy thing to do. Do you? Why?

Posted - May 17, 2017

Responses

• I always apologize whenever I've offended someone. I always try to keep the peace. Why? Because my Mother taught me proper manners.
      May 17, 2017 12:20 PM MDT

Me too Rooster. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday! :)
      May 19, 2017 4:49 AM MDT

Apologies given in such a false regard are useless and irritating.  It's fine to say you are sorry that your comment caused offense, but someone's offense if not reason to apologize for a true statement.
      May 17, 2017 12:52 PM MDT

Considering the offensive things you have said to me and others without ever apologizing, I can only assume that being 'classy' is not important to you. On second thought, since your comments were probably intended to cause offense any apology would be insincere. Insincerity isn't classy either.
      May 17, 2017 2:31 PM MDT

• Only if I am in the wrong.  I cry, "I'm offended!"  can be a cheap tacit to manipulate another.  So if I state a position on say, religion, and someone whines, "I'm offended!" no, there is no apology.  The "offended" needs a refutation of what I said to a stronger defense of his own position.  Claiming offense is just an evasion.
      May 17, 2017 3:02 PM MDT

I disagree with you whistle. All of us have sensitive issues we have to deal with. You can't possibly know what will offend others or what their triggers are and why unless you know their history and you can't possibly know the history of everyone with whom you communicate on an internet social site. After all we are all strangers here and we have to give folks the benefit of the doubt since we don't really know them or why bother being here? If I offend someone I always apologize. I take them at their word. I don't assume they are using a cheap tactic to manipulate me. So you and I disagree. So what, right? I give folks the benefit of the doubt. I have no reason not to do so. Refusing to apologize it seems to me is an ineffective way to believe that what I do/say is right and those who say otherwise are wrong. It's just my take on it. Thank you for yours and Happy Friday! :)
      May 19, 2017 5:21 AM MDT

• Most often I find the declaration, "I'm offended!" to mean "I cannot refute you." or "I cannot support my position." And there are times where offense a sort of posturing.  There was one such incident at a workplace. I forget what initiated the comment but I mentioned I don't care for Mexican music.  A Hispanic coworker said, "That's because your racist!" and went into an angry sulk.   Now there is no connection between not liking a sort of music and being a racist.  So that offense was posturing and does not get an apology.   
      May 19, 2017 7:25 AM MDT

I think it shows integrity and strong character, it also clears things up and brings peace. I have no problem apologising because I'm not perfect, and none of us are, and no ones infallible.  I find that if you admit fault, or that you are far from perfect it makes you more approachable and it builds bonds, whereas being too proud to apologise or admit imperfections builds suspicion, defensiveness and distrust. Apologising requires humility and that is always an attractive trait because it builds bridges, being too proud to apologise builds animosity.

This post was edited by Pepper Pot at May 19, 2017 5:14 AM MDT
      May 17, 2017 3:17 PM MDT

I agree with thee totally PepperP. There are those who say they never apologize because it shows weakness. To them I say BULLSH**! That is absurdly ridiculous. They show weakness by their refusal to admit they were in the wrong and should acknowledge it and apologize for it! Thank you for your reply! :)
      May 19, 2017 5:16 AM MDT

I concur with pepper, I wouldn't call it classy as such but it's the right thing to do and perhaps in an indirect way denotes class and good breeding, or as we would call it nowadays, manners.

I wouldn't apologise just for sake of it and I wouldn't give or want an apology that wasn't sincere.
      May 17, 2017 3:29 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply Addb. I think when someone apologizes it is always classy. Different strokes. :)
      May 19, 2017 5:14 AM MDT

• You've said several times that you never apologize for what you say....so....this question is moot. 
      May 17, 2017 4:31 PM MDT

OK if it's a genuine offence. But if it's merely the politically correct class trying to bully you by postulating offence on behalf of others, an apology is simply craven.

May 17, 2017 4:46 PM MDT

Apologies to thee Malizz but I honestly don't understand your answer. Apologizing to someone whom you have hurt has to be genuine since you're the one who did it and recognized it. I don't see how being politically correct has anything to do with it. So if you could clarify what you mean I would appreciate it. As it is now I am thoroughly confused. Thank you for your reply! :)
      May 19, 2017 5:13 AM MDT

Apologizing, in and of itself, is not classy.  Sincere and deserved apologies are a sign of good character.  Expecting undeserved apologies is an example of neither.  

Happy Wednesday, Rosie!  
      May 17, 2017 5:28 PM MDT

I disagree with thee B. In your opinion an apology is not classy. Of course you have a right to your opinion. Then you  proceed to attach specific properties to the type of apology you admire and say that is a sign of good character.Then you bring something in that is not part of the question. I said nothing about expecting undeserved apologies. You brought that with you. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday! :)
      May 19, 2017 4:48 AM MDT

I did not, Rosie.  I said "in and of themselves" they are not.  How is an insincere apology "classy"?  

Didn't I answer your questions in the precise and limited manner you prefer?  I'm like that.
      May 19, 2017 5:19 AM MDT

But that's the point. Where does "insincere" come in? Not from my question.
      May 19, 2017 5:23 AM MDT

Your question also doesn't specify when you "care about"...what or whom?  If you care about truth, you will not apologize just because someone is offended by the truth.  If you apologize because someone is bullying you to be PC or just to appease others, it is insincere.  The above types of apologies are not what I would call "classy".  

Sometimes when people answer questions they read things differently than the questioner intended.  Sometimes people expound upon the subject asked about, rather than simply give narrow and precise answers.  It is the nature of Q&A sites, and it often leads to interesting discussions.   
      May 19, 2017 5:49 AM MDT

I think its even classier not to offend anyone in the first place. But if you should accidently happen to anyway, sure, an apology is a soothing way to make a person feel better than when they felt offended don't you think?
      May 19, 2017 6:46 AM MDT