Active Now

my2cents
CosmicWunderkind
Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » It's said that we can choose to be happy. Do you agree or do you think that's bullsh**? Why ?

It's said that we can choose to be happy. Do you agree or do you think that's bullsh**? Why ?

Posted - May 17, 2017

Responses

I think it's difficult, for a start we have so many limiting outside factors which cause us constant stress and worry, mainly financial, and health because without finances your health fails, without health your finances fail, and without both, you're screwed.  Of course, we are depending on a system which is dysfunctional and unjust, so it is very difficult to maintain a state of happiness. If you want to know why so many people are sick, and stressed out you only have to look at the societies structure.  However, so few people ever blame their societies structure, especially doctors, they will ask what can you do to reduce your stress levels, well that's really difficult when you've got to go out to work to keep a roof over yours and your families head, and food in their mouth, and you've got arthritis is your knees, hips and shoulders, your tired because the lazy worthless neighbour is up drinking again causing a row, and your children are sick with measles and your haemorrhoids are given you trouble.  That's not me by the way, I have no children or piles.  But it is a situation or a similar situation for most people. I certainly have the constant worry of paying the rent, and bills, I think everybody does, and in between we may get a day off once in a while, or take a holiday, but most of our lives are work, work work, worry, worry, worry.  Some weeks I feel I just get on top of everything before the next problem comes through the letterbox or the telephone rings and you think we'll that relief was short lived O_o This post was edited by Pepper Pot at May 18, 2017 7:33 AM MDT
      May 17, 2017 3:03 PM MDT

Hmm are you sure we aren't twins separated at birth?? Your life sounds a bit like mine.. At work today we were talking about my bosses problems... they aren't nice.. and she said, well yea we all have problems we have to face.. and it got round to me and she said, X is going through a lot of problems at the moment.. I piped up, 'yea true but that's normal for me, I almost never don't have problems.'  
      May 17, 2017 4:12 PM MDT

((hugs)) Why the hugs? Because I got out of breath just reading your reply my friend. My heart started racing and I remembered back to when I was a divorced mom whose hubby never paid child support  who was down to her last $5 and the car needed repair. My "child" was 3. He is now 51 and I still remember the terror I felt and the nervous frightened person I was then. It is not easy to be happy and joyful when your world is  crumbling down around you and you are responsible for another human being and you have no help. I remember it still! Thank you for your reply Pepper P! :) This post was edited by RosieG at May 18, 2017 7:40 AM MDT
      May 18, 2017 7:36 AM MDT

We can certainly chose to deal with issues in a positive or negative manner,, which usually translates into happier or more miseryguts.  
      May 17, 2017 4:52 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply Malilzz! :)
      May 18, 2017 7:40 AM MDT

As someone who suffers from depression, that always annoyed me. People would be like "just be happy!"
    It's not that easy you dingleberries, if it was I wouldn't have this problem.
      May 17, 2017 8:50 PM MDT

Or someone who says "get over it" or "move on and put it behind you".  I get down in the dumps rarely and it doesn't last long but I have an acquaintance who has suffered from clinical depression and that is no cakewalk. I hope you have meds on which you can rely. The person I know had a doctor who kept trying different things before something worked. Thank you for your reply Patch!  :)
      May 18, 2017 7:42 AM MDT