Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Politics » Why is it that it only seems that the Jewish people are referred to as semitic people, when they are not the only people?

Why is it that it only seems that the Jewish people are referred to as semitic people, when they are not the only people?

Semitic comes from the Semitic language that 330 million people speak across many different countries, so why it is only associated with jewish people?

Posted - May 18, 2017

Responses

Why do you let it bother you?
      May 18, 2017 1:14 PM MDT

It doesn't bother me it is just a question of enquiry? 
      May 18, 2017 1:15 PM MDT

It reeks of racism.  It sounds like you don't like Jews.  You need to word things a bit better for your readers on here.  We are touchy. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at May 18, 2017 5:07 PM MDT
      May 18, 2017 1:17 PM MDT

How so, Sharonna?  It's a legitimate question.  I have often wondered why people speak of Arabs as being anti-semites, when Arabic is also a semitic language.  People using it that way is ignorant.  Questioning such ignorance is not racist.
      May 18, 2017 1:33 PM MDT

It is very legitimate.  You read the question and my answer and chose to only comment on the legality of it.  I am commenting on the emotional gut response it seems to elicit. 

I know it is legitimate and if we were in a room together, I would tend to think that it was innocent.  It just doesn't read as well since Jews are famous for being attacked and picked on.

Kind of like why do those black people always get preference because they are black.   It is ludicrous, but it can also be deemed as legitimate by some.  I don't buy it. 
      May 18, 2017 1:36 PM MDT

The question as stated does not "reek of racism".  Anyone taking that from it via an "emotional gut response" needs to grow up.  Racism will perpetuate if legitimate discussion is silenced.  
      May 18, 2017 1:44 PM MDT

My opinion.  Arguing about it is boring.  Sorry.  I just cannot get passionate enough about such stuff.  Who cares.

Racism is about unfounded judgement on certain nationality.  There are too many bores out there who open their mouths without thinking and if I take it upon myself to judge that?  I am just as silly as they are. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at May 18, 2017 5:08 PM MDT
      May 18, 2017 1:55 PM MDT

Which was precisely my point, Sharonna...you took it upon yourself to judge something based upon your own unfounded assumptions.
      May 18, 2017 2:05 PM MDT

Apologises that is not the case at all. My uncle married a Jewish lady and she was lovely, he converted to Judaism, and that also makes my cousin Jewish.  I have always been encouraged to ask questions, I cannot see why people would get offended at curiosity?

May 18, 2017 3:20 PM MDT

I don't know of any specific reason. Anti-semitism has simply become generally accepted as a term meaning anti-Jewish. It's just something that has happened over time and not due to any "agenda" or other reason. I certainly don't believe that this phenomenon is intended or taken as any kind of slight against non-Jewish Semitic groups.
      May 18, 2017 6:18 PM MDT

Who cares?   Since I am not personally involved with who or what is "semitic"?  I don't go by what other people think or say.  So if someone wants to refer to another person or group that way, again, WHO CARES?

I like people.  Not Jews, not Italians, NOT black people.

I like all people.  Semitic or otherwise.  If you are a skunk, it doesn't matter what other label you pose under, I can smell you.
      May 18, 2017 1:16 PM MDT

I enjoyed your other answers and found the Native American answer very helpful, especially since I am not from America and so do not know much about it's history.  However, on this question for some reason you have taken it upon yourself to be extremely rude for whatever reason. Fact is we do come from different countries and have different history and language, and that interests me, in other's that interest registers as racism apparently.  I'm finding that as society goes along, people are being made to be more and more fearful to ask questions in case someone takes offence, I'm just wondering where that will get us? I won't ask anymore, this isn't the site for me. This post was edited by kjames at May 18, 2017 4:05 PM MDT
      May 18, 2017 3:47 PM MDT

Hmmm.....

Whatever you say.  If you are THAT touchy this certainly is NOT the site for you.     

Nor is any site. 

Maybe you should try extremely polite. com

Or maybe you should stop trying to be so offended for no reason.

I am sorry.  I am not trying to make your day miserable.   This is conversation.  This is my thoughts.  Just like these are your thoughts.  I may be wrong and you can tell me, but why be offended? 

(But, tell me. I'm dying to know. Am I wrong or do you have some secret resentment against the Jewish people?) 

Or are you just trying to explain that you know what the derivations of Semitic mean? 

I cribbed this from Yahoo Answers and it seems to fit what you were going for.  However, this person kind of phrased it in a more accepting of Jews manner.

I apologize if I offended you.    I kind of jumped the gun because in this day and age most people are OVER the Jews and hating them and when someone mentions them in America, it is usually to denigrate them. 

So, sorry.  My bad

Best Answer: The Hebrew language is part of the Semitic languages which are part of the Afro-Asiatic languages. The anti-Jewish writer Wilhelm Marr coined the word antisemitism to sound more extreme than anti-Jewish.Wilhelm Marr's intent was for the word ONLY to be applied to Jews.Jews are not the only Semitic people,Arabs and other peoples are Semites also .The term antisemitism has become a part of the Jewish experience.There is religious and racial antisemitism,the Nazis persecuted the Jews under racial antisemitism which is based on the false concept of a Jewish race.Jews can be of any race or ethnic group,most Jews come from ethnic groups with an ultimate origin in Israel such as Ashkenazim and Sephardim (as proven by genetic and historical studies) This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at May 18, 2017 7:23 PM MDT
      May 18, 2017 7:12 PM MDT

What Sharonna, aren't skunks people too? LOL.
      May 18, 2017 6:21 PM MDT

I know a few.  This person is pissed off at me and I have only been on here half a day. 

Maybe I should leave for another 5 months.  LOL
      May 18, 2017 7:16 PM MDT