Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » For fun, give it a shot -- because I don't know. Why do I SO love this song?

For fun, give it a shot -- because I don't know. Why do I SO love this song?

~ I've had this song on "repeat" for 20 minutes and I'm still calm. That might be part of the reason - - the song calms me. Anytime I hear the song, I stop and just breathe.
~ In any case, it may give someone a chance to listen to a song they've not heard. I hope you will like it if you haven't heard it. But if not, it's all good -- one of my good answerMug friends thinks the song is godawful.
:)

~ "I Wanted To Be Wrong"   R.E.M.

(and this image of Michael Stipe may be my favorite of all those I've seen of him)

Posted - May 18, 2017

Responses

You presently have a enjoy it while you can, It will pass...
      May 18, 2017 2:31 PM MDT

"This, too, shall pass."

Hey, thanks, Beans/SilentGeneration. you may be right. I surely will enjoy this Michael Stipe-and-Gang Earworm!
      May 18, 2017 3:10 PM MDT

Thanks, WingedWonder! I like your concluding points - - as in, why question my liking of the song (because it's a question-and-answer site, ha!)?
    Seriously, though, I think I shall simply enjoy the breeze on this one. Forever I shall enjoy it, I believe. I'm glad you found it a good breeze, too.
      May 18, 2017 3:14 PM MDT

My answer ~ "Whether just boxers, just briefs or boxers/ briefs on guys -- the same answer -- you could like them all, I bet -- it just depends on the package."
      May 18, 2017 4:02 PM MDT

Exactly.
    ;)
      May 18, 2017 4:46 PM MDT

That might be difficult to answer. I may not even know.

I do know my parents had a very eclectic variety of music in the house that my siblings and I were always free to listen to. Classics from all decades, a lot from the past -- Peggy Lee, The New Christy Minstrels, tons of classical of all kinds, Louis Armstrong, The Mamas and The Papas, Christmas albums with all sorts of artists, Boots Randolph, Tom Jones, Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass. And all sorts of childrens albums -- Sherri Lewis and her puppets was a favorite.

Anyway, those are just some that popped to my mind quickly.

I would sit and listen. Literally. I would just sit. And listen to all this wonderful music. I specifically remember THE song and THE artist who captured my spirit and soul and deep-down emotions - - Bobbie Gentry and her "Ode to Billie Joe." It was the best song I had ever heard -- and I specifically remember LOVING Gentry's performance of the song -- and the strings arrangement in the background to the song - - and her guitar.
    - - Based upon where we were living at the time, I know I could not have been more than six years old. For the rest of my life and to this day, no song I've heard is better than Bobbie Gentry's "Ode To Billie Joe."

(I may add another song - - nowhere near "Ode To Billie Joe" 's impact, but Julie Andrews singing "Feed the Birds" in Mary Poppins would have me in tears. Strange - - for its subject matter, "Ode To Billie Joe" didn't make me cry -- it just sent me places of the best kind. I'll add "Feed the Birds" later. That song, and "Step in Time" from the same movie grabbed me always. We had the soundtrack album.)

I'm failing to add Feed the Birds -- after more-than-several attempts, I'm quitting.

And Leonard Bernstein narrating and conducting a performance of "Peter and the Wolf."

And "The Mamas and The Papas" - - their sound shot me to the stratosphere. They remain the "freshest" sounding group to me - - such intricate harmonies that I tuned in to.

I can only suspect that my exposure and accessibility to a wide variety of music invigorated me forever. I have wonderful feelings (feelings, more than actual specific memories) associated with so much music in my young youth. 

My sister, who was taking piano lessons at the time, encouraged me and she started me to play the piano when I was six. I've been playing since.

I remain unsure if this answers the "when" and "how" of my love of music came about. I wish I could add every piece of music that strikes/slaps/embraces/kisses me- - but that would be my entire life. The love has been there ever since I can remember.

And my mom singing "Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree . . ." to me when I was very young.

UPDATE: All this happened in sync with my being a VERY outside playing type of boy. I was outside all the time but the music listening was just as important, I guess, to me.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 18, 2017 5:16 PM MDT
      May 18, 2017 4:25 PM MDT

Yes to all of your Number 4 comment.

Radio -- me, too. And my siblings.

Thanks, WingedWonder. This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 18, 2017 5:40 PM MDT
      May 18, 2017 5:26 PM MDT

It's OK.  I do love REM though.  I don't think I've ever concentrated on listening to this until now.  Thanks.
      May 18, 2017 11:53 PM MDT

I failed to see an alert that you had answered, Thriftymaid -- I'm sorry for my late response! You're welcome for my posting the song and thanks for answering! I like R.E.M. a lot, too. This song, from what I've read and heard, is from what most fans and critics call their worst album --  "Around the Sun." Even Michael Stipe has made some negative comments about the album. I find it their best album, actually! Yet, when it comes to R.E.M. for me, anything is great.

You know - - I think a large part of what appeals to me about this song is what sounds to me to be strings at the very beginning of the song, just gently going back and forth between two notes. And that happens through the entire song. I like all of the song's gentleness, too.
    :) This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 21, 2017 12:03 PM MDT
      May 20, 2017 11:48 AM MDT