Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Star Trek, The Next Generation...

Star Trek, The Next Generation...

For people familiar with STNG and the holodeck.  The holodeck would allow one to satisfy an fantasy, no matter how social disruptive.  Would such a catharsis sate the desire or provoke one to want to carry it out in the real world? 

Posted - May 18, 2017

Responses

It would as depicted in sci-fi, create a world of individuals withdrawn from reality, totally engrossed in the virtual reality of their own making, becoming gods unto themselves. This post was edited by O-uknow at May 18, 2017 9:59 PM MDT
      May 18, 2017 9:58 PM MDT

I have been wondering about that myself. At on time Japanese corporations built special rooms where employees who were stressed or angry could go and 'let it all out' beating and mangling plastic dolls, etc. I haven't heard how that turned out either. Did they calm down and get productively back on the job? Or did they just get a lot of practice for doing it later for real in some alley?
      May 18, 2017 10:03 PM MDT

Such 'anger rooms' exist in the US too
    http://miami.cbslocal.com/2016/12/27/anger-room-a-smashing-success/
      May 18, 2017 10:10 PM MDT

No, the law abiding ones would spend more and more of their time in the rooms. The psychotic ones would use rooms such as these to rehearse what they would like to do in the real world.
      May 18, 2017 10:16 PM MDT