Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Are Bem's studies proof that ESP exists or that studies can be used to prove anything?

Are Bem's studies proof that ESP exists or that studies can be used to prove anything?

https://redux.slate.com/cover-stories/2017/05/daryl-bem-proved-esp-is-real-showed-science-is-broken.html

Posted - May 19, 2017

Responses

Thank you for posting this, the validity of studies is a debate I have had with several people over the years.  That this study has sparked even a portion of academia to admit there are problems with their methodologies, and to admit to using questionable methods is a good thing, in my opinion.  
      May 19, 2017 9:27 AM MDT

I'm trying to find the Beatles study they referenced in the article. It supposedly suggested listening to "When I'm 65" made people younger. It was done to prove the point that properly-conducted studies can be manipulated to yield any result. All I'm finding on that one are quotes about it though.

I agree that questioning things is good, but at the same time, when does a study deserve validation? When it's being duplicated, doesn't that give it validity? If we can't trust studies, how are we to know anything at all? O_o
      May 19, 2017 11:45 AM MDT

Here is the abstract telling about their studies with the Beatles song.  You can download the paper at that link.  

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0956797611417632I'll

Studies are certainly useful and necessary.  But when you can find studies that come to opposite or far different conclusions, something is not right with at least one of the studies, no?  And when there is this level of acknowledgement that there is a problem, then I would have to believe there is, indeed, a problem.  There was another link in your article that even suggested that "most published research findings are false."  I found several more citations of similar papers when searching for the Beatles study.  That researchers themselves are addressing this will result in studies being held to stricter standards, the paper at the link above goes into their recommendations.  We would like to believe that all researchers and scientists are above reproach, but that denies human nature, and there are quite often financial or other incentives involved.  Even ones who try not to allow their bias affect the outcome of their studies may do so without realizing it.    
      May 19, 2017 12:59 PM MDT

Could not access the link but I am inclined to say women are more gifted with ESP ability than men and ESP can supercede a man's logical thinking...

"Men, when you accept the fact that women are always right only then you will know the meaning of life ".
      May 19, 2017 9:53 AM MDT

I made it a clickable link now. The context is important because a psychologist performed repeated studies that indicated ESP was real. In some, the subjects did a better job of predicting where nude photos were hidden. In others, they performed better recollection when they were made to practice/ repeat answers after the test was given, thus suggesting they could "remember" learning things they'd learn in the future. Others have duplicated the studies- some with success and some without, and many think the studies do indeed prove ESP is real. Bem, himself, did not believe in ESP, until he started doing studies.

At the same time, some members of the scientific community are saying he fudged his results, and they've gone on to do other studies that prove ludicrous things are true.
      May 19, 2017 11:51 AM MDT

I am not familiar with the study but I do know this happens time and time again..and that includes supposed scientific studies and research.. often there's money to be made by hyping one theory/drug/product or by quashing another product/theory etc... 
      May 19, 2017 11:36 AM MDT

It's worth a read. As far as I can tell, Bem did the studies out of his own curiosity and paid for them himself too.
      May 19, 2017 11:52 AM MDT

Hah! I KNEW you were going to ask this question.
      May 19, 2017 1:08 PM MDT

not sure, i dont really believe in esp stuff
      May 19, 2017 3:26 PM MDT