Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Do you ALWAYS bury your nose in a book on planes or in waiting rooms to avoid engaging with others? Are you Social/Anti? Friendlly/Un? Why?

Do you ALWAYS bury your nose in a book on planes or in waiting rooms to avoid engaging with others? Are you Social/Anti? Friendlly/Un? Why?

Posted - May 20, 2017

Responses

• No, I usually just take a book anyhow as waiting at the Doctors or Dentists is boring and most of the people there are sick or in pain, so I usually just read. I'm very social but not usually at those places.
      May 20, 2017 6:29 AM MDT

We met a great couple in a surgeon's waiting room yesterday Rooster. Ended up exchanging emails and phone numbers. We even hugged. Just because the setting has to do with medical problems doesn't restrict the conversation to aches and pains and operations! Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday! :)
      May 20, 2017 9:48 AM MDT

I do prefer to read when waiting or traveling.  On occasion, a person seated next to me will be interesting enough to talk with, but most of the time, they just want to tell me their sad tales.
      May 20, 2017 9:20 AM MDT

I've found the opposite to be true. I think you've just had very bad luck. I get a "vibe" from people that causes me to say something to them. Depending upon the reply that's the end of it or we're off and running. I'm generally off and running far more often than not.  Also we end our conversations with hugs and smiles and thank yous. Sometimes we exchange email addresses and phone numbers. It happened again yesterday with a swell couple in a waiting room. Turns out they own a home in our retirement community which they rent out and live in Banning which is maybe 20 miles from us. Jerry and Cathy. Jerry is as much a golf enthusiast as Jim only Jerry has a handicap of 1 which is incredible! They were very interesting folks. Ya never know what you're gonna get unless you investigate! Thank you for your reply Spunky! :)( This post was edited by RosieG at May 20, 2017 6:51 PM MDT
      May 20, 2017 9:44 AM MDT

I believe you're much more sociable than I am, Rosie and that's fine. 
      May 20, 2017 6:52 PM MDT

In spurts. In bursts. It's a perpetual ebb and flow! :) Differences are good Spunky. That's how you learn from one another. Restricting your life to people exactly like you would stunt growth I think and let's face it get a bit repetitive and dare I say boring? :) This post was edited by RosieG at May 21, 2017 9:57 AM MDT
      May 21, 2017 3:18 AM MDT

Sometimes I feel like being with people, other times I prefer to be alone.  I don't restrict myself to any particular type of person when I seek socialization. :)  Happy Sunday. :)
      May 21, 2017 9:58 AM MDT

• I always have a book with me, but I don't mind having conversations with strangers either. There are exceptions though. Yesterday, before work, I stopped at a store and bought a few scratch-off tickets. I went around to the side of the store where the chairs are. There was a homeless man sitting there as well. He asked if I had an extra cigarette, I gave him one. He asked what my name was and I told him. He then asked where I got my name and who named me....I said My mother. He then started asking some personal questions, I got up and went around to the front of the store. There are usually homeless people at that spot and I've had some decent conversations with them. I take the bus to and from work, usually I read, but I'm not against conversations, unless it's a really good book and I'm at a really good part. :)
      May 20, 2017 9:50 AM MDT

sometimes but i do it so i dont bother others that might not want to talk
      May 20, 2017 4:58 PM MDT