Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Do you travel in packs, hang out in groups, feel uncomfy alone on your own? Some require solitude. Some fear it. Which some describes YOU?

Do you travel in packs, hang out in groups, feel uncomfy alone on your own? Some require solitude. Some fear it. Which some describes YOU?

Posted - May 20, 2017

Responses

I'm prefer solitude, but sometimes I like to roam about with my sister. She likes shopping and I like to have an excuse to go out and buy fancy coffee.
      May 20, 2017 5:45 AM MDT

I require a lot of solitude but I also enjoy being with others WHEN I'M IN THE MOOD!  You mention your sister. Mine lives 500 miles away now but when she lived in the same city years ago we'd get together on a Saturday and "go shopping". Looking was what we really did. We'd go to high-end stores like Nordstrom's and try on $500 shoes. No way could we afford to buy them but it cost nothing to try them on and pretend interest! We'd try on hats and affect French accents and have the best time. Neither one of us ever wore hats but we had great fun trying them on. We'd go to the perfume aisle and overdo the variety of sprays we tried so we ended up smelling like hoors (actually I don't know what one smells like but the overwhelming sweetness was nauseating!) If we found a really good sale we might occasionally actually buy something. We'd grab a bite to eat and that was our fun time together. It's nice to have a sister to roam around with. You don't need to explain yourself. She already KNOWS! Thank you for your reply Patch and Happy Saturday! :)
      May 20, 2017 6:15 AM MDT

I would rather be alone. People suck.
      May 20, 2017 7:15 AM MDT

Some or maybe a lot of 'em do. But some are really nifty and fantastic. It helps to have a lotta luck so you can spot the yucky sucks and not waste any time on them! Thank you for your reply Ele! :)
      May 20, 2017 9:18 AM MDT

• I live in near total isolation.
      May 20, 2017 8:39 AM MDT

By choice whistle?  I like solitude but not isolation. I like to be near everything I need like grocery stores and banks and drug stores and and and! We're within 3 miles in any direction of everything we need except for our doctors. We used to live in Riverside and now we live in Hemet so when we have doctor appointment we have to travel. Otherwise everything is conveniently located. I like convenience. Thank you for your reply m'dear! Do you feel lonely?
      May 20, 2017 9:21 AM MDT

• It is mostly by choice. Sure, sometimes there is loneliness but generally I enjoy the solitude.
      May 20, 2017 7:14 PM MDT

I do too whistle. I always have. BUT I also enjoy being with people. It's just that I like to be the one to decide where and when. I can be very outgoing and talkative and enthusiastic at times and that's when being with others is my cuppa tea and I'm the best company. But I can also be very distant/silent/withdrawn. That's when it's best for me to be alone. Jim is a pleasure to live with. Whichever me I am is fine with him. He is a lot friendlier than I am ALL THE TIME. But he can also be quiet and read or be working on a project or watching some golf instructor give tips and he doesn't need my attention. He is very resourceful. I NEVER have to pretend to be someone I'm not. Being me is just fine with him. Needless-to-say I finally lucked out and have the perfect partner for me! :):):)! Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday m'dear! :)
      May 21, 2017 2:44 AM MDT

• This seems like a good arrangement.
      May 21, 2017 7:58 PM MDT

• I don't mind being alone, gives me a chance to recharge and work out any problems I have. 
      May 20, 2017 8:48 AM MDT

I like solitude too. I like being with others when I'm in the mood. Thank you for your reply Karen and Happy Saturday! :)
      May 20, 2017 9:22 AM MDT

I spend a lot of time alone - by choice.  I can be sociable when I have to be amongst others, but I'm not a social butterfly.  Don't like crowds or being with a lot of people I don't know.  I'm not much for small talk.  I have three sisters, two of whom live here in NY and one in PA so if I'm feeling like being with others, I have places to go.
      May 20, 2017 9:17 AM MDT

I'm rather like that too only I have just one sister. She used to lived fairly close by(45 miles) but she and her husband moved to Carson City, Nevada in October 2008. That's about  500 miles away so we don't see each other much but we email almost daily. I'm very outgoing and gregarious when I'm the mood and I'm very much not when I'm not. Thank you for your reply Spunky and Happy Saturday! :)
      May 20, 2017 9:25 AM MDT

I'm not as outgoing as you are, Rosie, but if someone sitting next to me starts a conversation and they seem like decent people, I can get into it.  I just always seem to find people who want to tell me their problems.  Not sure why since I don't usually walk around smiling at folks.  :)
      May 20, 2017 6:56 PM MDT

You must have a very kind face honey. You must give off vibes that draw people to you. That's not such a bad thing although I can appreciate that it could be annoying. I'm really not outgoing at all Spunky. It's odd. As a child I was painfully shy. I still withdraw when the environment seems unpleasant/hostile. I pick up on my surroundings/the environment and react accordingly. Those "vibes" I spoke of? I am very sensitive to them and I think I must be drawn to those folks who will be worth chatting with. I can't explain it. I have always been a Loner. Not by design as a child. I would have loved to have been popular and have had lots of friends. I just didn't know how to reach out to people. But as I've gotten older maybe I just got braver.  Finding a place like Answerbag(may she rest in peace!) and then Answermug is PERFECT for me. I show up when I'm in the mood..stay as long as I'm having fun as my schedule allows...leave when I want to and I don't have to answer to anyone!  It's great! I talk to those with whom I enjoy engaging  and don't talk to those who are unpleasant! What could be perfecter? Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday! :) This post was edited by RosieG at May 21, 2017 9:59 AM MDT
      May 21, 2017 3:11 AM MDT

We are more alike, then, than I thought. :)  I had three younger sisters with whom I shared a bedroom.  There was no such thing as privacy or solitude.  When I took my own apartment, I was seeing a young man who loved having people around all the time and we were always at a party or giving a party.  At some point after I stopped seeing him, the silence was fantastic and I cherished it and still do.  I've reached the point where I don't feel at all guilty if I am not doing something every moment of the day.  I guess I don't mind my own company. :)
      May 21, 2017 10:02 AM MDT

I have lived in both worlds and both are important.   To live in total isolation can be very toxic unless you are some Tibetan Monk out for enlightenment.

To live in a crowd and have no room for solitude can be even worse.

So, balance is in order here.   We are social creatures for a reason and interaction and exchange are very important regarding what it means to be a human being.
      May 20, 2017 9:19 AM MDT

Thank you for your thoughtful reply PSvsS and Happy Saturday! :)
      May 20, 2017 9:30 AM MDT

no, i tend to be alone a lot but not by choice, people just dont seem to want to hang out with me much these days, not sure why
      May 20, 2017 4:52 PM MDT