Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » You survived a very serious life-threatening health scare. How did it change you? Why?

You survived a very serious life-threatening health scare. How did it change you? Why?

Posted - May 20, 2017

Responses

I had a heart attack 13 years ago. I still have my same bad habits and take lots of meds.
      May 20, 2017 7:07 AM MDT

I VERY GLAD you survived it Ele! You don't smoke do you? Will you be taking those meds the rest of your life? Thank you for your reply! :)
      May 20, 2017 10:35 AM MDT

ive never really had that happen so i wouldnt know
      May 20, 2017 4:42 PM MDT

• It changed me in so many ways. As I've shared before on this site, I dealt with a life threatening condition a decade ago. I'm here to say that to really live, you must first nearly die. I had much time to think as I was confined to my home for a long period. I considered my personal relationships, my family, my occupation, my spiritual condition. I found myself learning patience and finding a courage that I didn't know existed. I found a new empathy for those who are weak, feeble and disabled. I found myself evaluating myself as a person and discovering things about myself. I found the meaning of hope. I experienced love in ways I never believed possible. While I don't recommend a near death experience, I do believe that such a time makes the senses more acute and it leads to a more objective review of one's self. I mean in the way that losing one's eyesight, for example, sharpens the other senses. The reality of death brings much to the surface that was in suspended animation. The experience doesn't answer all of your questions, but it places you in position to deal with that which is ignored in what we only think is living.
      May 21, 2017 10:45 AM MDT

To really live you must almost die
    And it happened just that way with me

Read more: Marty Robbins - The Hanging Tree Lyrics | MetroLyrics 

May 21, 2017 12:30 PM MDT

• Open heart surgery 7/14/14.
      May 21, 2017 10:19 PM MDT