Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Do you think the greatest brain defect of mankind is that we tend to too readily believe too much of whatever we read, hear and see?

Do you think the greatest brain defect of mankind is that we tend to too readily believe too much of whatever we read, hear and see?

Without questioning or giving some critical thought. 

Posted - May 20, 2017

Responses

Wait, how many other species know how to read?

~
      May 20, 2017 8:30 AM MDT

They don't.  We use octopus ink to print books and use animal skins to print on.
      May 20, 2017 8:36 AM MDT

We are the only species that NEEDS to.   I think we are the ones who need to keep up with, say the DEER, that can detect about 500 to 1,000 varieties of smell with a nose that is so sophisticated, it makes our nose seem retarded.

So, don't gussy up the ability to read and act as if it is the superior tool.    Bats and Monarch Butterflies don't need to read -- and yet they can navigate situations that would make your head swim.

We, in our superior ability to discern,  managed to decimate the whale population.  Some believe they had superior abilities the likes of which we can never know or prove, since the tribe has been demolished.

We need to read about how to respect and admire other species,  not hold ourselves above them.  This attitude is killling us AND them.    Maybe we need to put books down and stop writing and reading and start really listening.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at May 20, 2017 10:55 AM MDT
      May 20, 2017 8:54 AM MDT

Leave me alone, Lady!  The judge said you can't harass me, remember?  I'm "gussying up" because reading was part of the question that was posed, ya know?  Grrrrrrrr!

Reported!

By the way, why haven't you been around lately, how am I supposed to report you if you're not here?  Step up your game!

~
      May 20, 2017 11:00 AM MDT

Not true, humans tend to readily believe whatever supports their preconceived notions and beliefs. They tend to not only disbelieve anything to the contrary but also become hostile to the source.This is not a defect of the brain. It is a flaw of the mind. This post was edited by O-uknow at May 20, 2017 9:00 AM MDT
      May 20, 2017 8:43 AM MDT

What people read, hear and see without some question or critical thought becomes the basis of preconceived notions and beliefs.

That is the defect wheather it is mind or brain.
      May 20, 2017 8:56 AM MDT

No, terms matter. The brain is physical and can have defects and damage. The mind is all the processing that makes you, you. It can be flawed in logic but who is to say defective? Think hardware versus software. The brain would be the tower and the mind its OS. Funny how an OS is vulnerable to hacking and malware just like the mind. This post was edited by O-uknow at May 20, 2017 9:28 AM MDT
      May 20, 2017 9:08 AM MDT

(whether)
      May 20, 2017 11:01 AM MDT

Au contraire.  

The majority of people are STUCK.  Stuck in what they think they already know.   And when some "meme" of the day comes along, they embrace the easy terminology without even thinking about what the words mean.

That is what we are faced with.  Empty minds with very little to back whatever words or thoughts pass the mental screen.

The truth, as I see it, still seems to hold.   Nothing is what you think.  EVER.  We are in a continual flux of change and all information is real and true only for the circumstance at the time in history that it manifests.

We are all changlings.   What is truth today will not hold true tomorrow necessarily, unless it is TRUTH that is irrefutable.  Very few people can even agree on what that is. 

For instance.  We don't die.  That is TRUTH, but few people ever see that in this lifetime on planet Earth. 

In Biomechanics we are learning that the muscles do not move the bone.  Fascia moves everything.  This would never have held true in the '60's or before when biomechanics was the last word in anatomy.

Etc.  Etc.  Etc....

Oh yeah, the Earth is not flat either. 

We need to change, be aware and accept that nothing is forever.  Except eternity. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at May 20, 2017 9:02 AM MDT
      May 20, 2017 8:49 AM MDT

Yeah I guezzo.

Sometimes I think God designed our brain with some defects like that otherwise nobody would believe in him.  This post was edited by Kittigate at May 20, 2017 9:27 AM MDT
      May 20, 2017 9:02 AM MDT

Uh huh, uh huh.

I want the meme. Where's the meme?  You know what I mean?

~
      May 20, 2017 11:02 AM MDT

Edgar Allan Poe — 'Believe only half of what you see and nothing that you hear.

1 John 4
    Don’t Believe Everything You Hear, My dear friends, don’t believe everything you hear. Carefully weigh and examine what people tell you.
      May 20, 2017 8:59 AM MDT

Right. 
      May 20, 2017 9:03 AM MDT

This weighs about 35 lbs. 

True that!
      May 20, 2017 9:34 AM MDT

People want to trust what the read and see to be true. And they do if it is in line with what they already believe.
    Some believe that what they read on the internet is true because if it wasn't, it wouldn't be there.
    I have a friend who keeps sending me all kinds of junk that she believes. And I have to keep sending her info. That it isn't true.
    The last one was that Bill Gates is going to send everyone money to forward emails to Microsoft.
    That one is making the rounds again to new people who didn't see it before.
    It is much harder to trust these days then it used to be.
      May 20, 2017 9:32 AM MDT

Indeed...
      May 20, 2017 9:43 AM MDT

I prefer a Bayesian approach. 
      May 20, 2017 10:39 AM MDT

'Probability of a hypothesis'  ..interesting. 
      May 20, 2017 10:44 AM MDT

i think so
      May 20, 2017 3:42 PM MDT