Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Finance » What is something that you prefer to replace rather than repair, and something else you prefer to repair rather than replace? ~

What is something that you prefer to replace rather than repair, and something else you prefer to repair rather than replace? ~

Posted - May 20, 2017

Responses

Replace---computers

Repair---an old Montgomery Ward sander that needs a new cord.  (I have an original replacement cord.)
      May 20, 2017 12:15 PM MDT

Wait, "original replacement"?  Isn't that contradictory?  Or oxymoronic?

(Just kidding!)

May 20, 2017 1:24 PM MDT

When the original cord became a safety hazard, I ordered an original (vs aftermarket) replacement cord from Montgomery Ward---just never got around to installing it.  (The sander is now about 55 years old, and I had bought straight-line and belt sanders already.)

My intent was to indicate that it was a replacement cord for the sander and that the cord was obtained through the original seller of the item.

But, yes, probably oxymoronic in format. This post was edited by tom jackson at May 20, 2017 10:15 PM MDT
      May 20, 2017 2:21 PM MDT

Replace - - a stereo/radio/CD portable player
    Yet the very-good-sounding player I have now is no longer made - - I'll probably look for someone to repair it if needed. ( I'm tired of music technology flying forward. I seem to have stopped at CD's ("CDs?") and I'm keeping my feet in the mud and refusing to budge. For now.)

Repair - - my paid-for car This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 24, 2017 6:08 PM MDT
      May 20, 2017 12:23 PM MDT

I used to be one of the "If I can't fix it, get a new one." guys, and I was able to fix almost anything, including cars, appliances, TVs and other electronics. Not anymore. I kept a washer and dryer going for more than 25 years until I couldn't get parts anymore.
      May 20, 2017 1:58 PM MDT

• I will do everything I can to repair my computer. If it's something like my boots, I'll replace them in a heartbeat.
      May 20, 2017 3:10 PM MDT

I choose to repair Eddy, my car.

I chose to replace my computer when it misbehaved. 
      May 21, 2017 1:04 PM MDT

Hi Randy D~
    Replace:  A coffee pot
    Repair:  A relationship
      May 24, 2017 6:11 PM MDT