Active Now

Danilo_G
Randy D
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » Do your organs party while you are sleeping?

Do your organs party while you are sleeping?

Does your pineal gland make out with your spleen and stuff like that...?

Posted - May 22, 2017

Responses

When I wake up, I sometimes wonder.. 
      May 22, 2017 10:25 AM MDT

My organs rest when I rest. 

The spleen has little to do with the pineal gland.

The spleen (from Greek σπλήν—splḗn[1]) is an organ found in virtually all vertebrates. Similar in structure to a large lymph node, it acts primarily as a blood filter.

The spleen plays important roles in regard to red blood cells (also referred to as erythrocytes) and the immune system.[2] It removes old red blood cells and holds a reserve of blood, which can be valuable in case of hemorrhagic shock, and also recycles iron. As a part of the mononuclear phagocyte system, it metabolizes hemoglobin removed from senescent red blood cells (erythrocytes). The globin portion of hemoglobin is degraded to its constitutive amino acids, and the heme portion is metabolized to bilirubin, which is removed in the liver.[3]

The spleen synthesizes antibodies in its white pulp and removes antibody-coated bacteria and antibody-coated blood cells by way of blood and lymph node circulation. A study published in 2009 using mice found that the red pulp of the spleen forms a reservoir that contains over half of the body's monocytes.[4] These monocytes, upon moving to injured tissue (such as the heart after myocardial infarction), turn into dendritic cells and macrophages while promoting tissue healing.[4][5][6] The spleen is a center of activity of the mononuclear phagocyte system and can be considered analogous to a large lymph node, as its absence causes a predisposition to certain infections.[7]

In humans the spleen is brownish in color and is located in the left upper quadrant of the abdomen.

The pineal gland, also known as the pineal body, conarium or epiphysis cerebri, is a small endocrine gland in the vertebrate brain. The shape of the gland resembles a pine cone, hence its name. The pineal gland is located in the epithalamus, near the center of the brain, between the two hemispheres, tucked in a groove where the two halves of the thalamus join. The pineal gland produces melatonin, a serotonin derived hormone which modulates sleep patterns in both circadian and seasonal cycles.[1][2]

Nearly all vertebrate species possess a pineal gland. The most important exception is the hagfish, which is often thought of as the most primitive extant vertebrate.[3] Even in the hagfish, however, there may be a "pineal equivalent" structure in the dorsal diencephalon.[4] The lancelet Branchiostoma lanceolatum, the nearest existing relative to vertebrates, also lacks a recognizable pineal gland.[3] The lamprey (considered almost as primitive as the hagfish), however, does possess one.[3] A few more developed vertebrates lost pineal glands over the course of their evolution.[5]

The results of various scientific research in evolutionary biology, comparative neuroanatomy and neurophysiology, have explained the phylogeny of the pineal gland in different vertebrate species. From the point of view of biological evolution, the pineal gland represents a kind of atrophied photoreceptor. In the epithalamus of some species of amphibians and reptiles, it is linked to a light-sensing organ, known as the parietal eye, which is also called the pineal eye or third eye.[6]

René Descartes believed the pineal gland to be the "principal seat of the soul". Academic philosophy among his contemporaries considered the pineal gland as a neuroanatomical structure without special metaphysical qualities; science studied it as one endocrine gland among many. However, the pineal gland continues to have an exalted status in the realm of pseudoscience.[7]

Contents This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at May 22, 2017 11:36 PM MDT
      May 22, 2017 10:27 AM MDT

• I think so. One time I woke up in the middle of a dream and could've sworn my thymus was in the wrong place for a little bit :P

If I eat before bed then my organs can't party because they have to work. I try not to do that, though. 
      May 22, 2017 10:56 AM MDT

not that i know of, i would hope not
      May 22, 2017 4:35 PM MDT

Sometimes they make enough noise to wake the neighbors.
      May 22, 2017 5:11 PM MDT

One ovary says to the other, "there must be one hell of a party going on downstairs. A couple nuts are trying to push an organ up the passage".
      May 22, 2017 7:54 PM MDT

LOL now I understand where the music was coming from;))
      May 22, 2017 11:37 PM MDT