Active Now

Malizz
Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » I can accept not knowing obscure events happening in the world not making much press but how do you not know headlines?

I can accept not knowing obscure events happening in the world not making much press but how do you not know headlines?

Posted - May 23, 2017

Responses

• By disengaging from the media.
      May 23, 2017 8:48 AM MDT

Believe it or not, there are people who don't read the news or listen to it on the radio or watch it on TV.
      May 23, 2017 10:26 AM MDT

• Me! 22 years TV free, perhaps 10 with no radio, no newspapers for some years.
      May 23, 2017 9:40 PM MDT

How do you find out what's going on around you and in the world?  Internet?
      May 24, 2017 7:51 AM MDT

• I generally do not know.  Were it not for AM questions I wouldn't be aware of Trump's proposed wall, the recent Manchester bombing or the like. 
      May 24, 2017 8:53 AM MDT

So, for you, ignorance is bliss.
      May 24, 2017 9:25 AM MDT

• No, there is no bliss.
      May 24, 2017 2:38 PM MDT

Even worse - that just leaves ignorance. 
      May 24, 2017 5:41 PM MDT

• It is not a position I followed with a plan.  It is just where I find myself.  I have in a sense, opted out of the general culture which surrounds me.  I don't count it as a loss.
      May 24, 2017 8:26 PM MDT

probably by not reading the paper or getting on the web
      May 23, 2017 3:28 PM MDT

I used never to know anything about what was going on.. I don't watch tv and didn't read newspapers and one day I made a comment that was innocent in intent about a football club and unbeknownst to me that club had had trouble with supporter violence.. so he thought my comment was about that and judgementally so.. fortunately I was able to explain to him that I had no idea about the incident and so wasn't commenting on that.. but even so I felt bad that my comment had been perceived as insensitive merely because of my lack of awareness of headlines.. So after that I started subscribing to a well known and reputable paper.

The good thing is that it keeps me well informed.. the bad thing is it tells me about what Trump is up to.. if I didn't know I wouldn't have to face that reality - I would be blissfully ignorant and I wouldn't have people who seem to not see the faults many of us see getting mad at me and almost taking it to the level of hatred.. Still I guess we have to take the rough with the smooth and we cannot unknow what we have seen with our own eyes.
      May 23, 2017 3:45 PM MDT

I don't HATE you. I love you as I always should but I am cautious.
      May 23, 2017 9:15 PM MDT

• Sounds like me. I'm 22 years without TV. Several years without newspapers or periodicals. I do not listen to the radio.
      May 23, 2017 9:37 PM MDT