Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » Who is responsible for security at a concert- the venue or the performer?

Who is responsible for security at a concert- the venue or the performer?

People at the Ariana Grande concert say they weren't physically searched before entering the venue- that security didn't check their bodies and barely looked in their purses. One interviewee said she'd just seen Bruno Mars at the same venue and their bodies were searched beforehand.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/ariana-grandes-mother-ushered-fans-safety-explosion-concert/story?id=47588781

Posted - May 23, 2017

Responses

• Venue. 100% it's up to the host venue.

I don't really know how much security should really tare apart purses and pat people down though.  Anyone trying to put blame on the artist or venue for this tragedy  is way off in left field.  Put the blame on the POS it belongs on.
      May 23, 2017 1:51 PM MDT

I just found it odd that the same person was treated differently at the venue depending on who the performer was. I'm not sure I blame either. Mostly just curious. 

I went to the same venue twice in one month and the security procedures were the same, but at the second one, the bar wouldn't give out cans or bottled water- they had to pour all drinks into cups at the band's request. I wondered if this was along the same lines- maybe the bands get some say in it.
      May 23, 2017 6:02 PM MDT

• Not sure what goes on in your town or over in the UK.   I do know around here though venues sometimes sub out security detail to different security groups and sometimes there is differences in the style because of that.  Also some venues leave it up to the promoter to bring a security detail.
    Honestly I could see them maybe being a little more lax considering the demographics of each performer too.   I mean Mars brings in a regualr aged group of both males and females but Grande is just a bunch of preteen and young teen girls with their moms.  Sometimes you will have a different person leading at different shows at the same venue and they might have slightly different styles too.

I know a lot of bands don't want cans or bottles because they get them thrown at them.
      May 23, 2017 6:18 PM MDT

The venue since it is their building.
      May 23, 2017 2:25 PM MDT

I know it's hard to believe and in hindsight we all wish there had been better security :( But, and again I know it will be hard to understand, so please no attacks, I am just trying to explain some of the reasons..  we tend to be a much less violent nation, by that I mean we don't have as much violent crime, we don't have, for instance guns here really, we do have stabbings and that's on the increase but in general we are unused to things like this.. it's almost lke we are too trusting? We are perhaps sitting ducks as we are quite naive.. 

I think these will be lessons learned the hard way... we should all perhaps be that little more aware, that little more alert.. and a lot less trusting and naive. 

I hope that helps and I sincerely hope no one is offended by anything I say as none whatsoever is intended - just trying to help 
      May 23, 2017 2:26 PM MDT

i think security shouldve been responsible, thats why theyre there
      May 23, 2017 2:58 PM MDT

Don't blame the performer, she's a victim too. She's cancelled the rest of her tour and in all likelihood won't perform again for a long while, perhaps never - this will be hanging over her head, fans will be fearful of turning out to shows in case it happens again.
    The blame lies solely with the perp, who is certainly burning eternally in Hell if there is one. If the investigation turns up accomplices, don't execute them - strip them, cuff them hand and foot and turn them over to the parents of the victims. Let them be creative.
      May 23, 2017 5:21 PM MDT