Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » At what age is a child old enough to attend a concert without an adult?

At what age is a child old enough to attend a concert without an adult?

Posted - May 23, 2017

Responses

In my opinion? 14.
      May 23, 2017 1:15 PM MDT

• 13-15 somewhere around there.
      May 23, 2017 1:46 PM MDT

Eighteen.  That's right, no children without adults at large concerts.  Boy would the concert makers clean themselves up.  Why have movie ratings if 12 year olds can go to trashy concerts alone where drug usage is generally higher than in the general population as well.    Don't let your children be exploited and used like this...................it harms them.   I went with my kids to concerts.............God only knows it was sometimes misery for me.  I often took a carload of girls to concerts.  This is parenting. 
      May 23, 2017 1:47 PM MDT

• That's helicopter parenting.
      May 23, 2017 1:52 PM MDT

Nah.  I'm talking about big concerts in large venues like coliseums.  The large venue like that closest to where I reared my family was in a horrible part of town as well as having a horrible crime rate.  We lived out in the suburbs.   I didn't always sit in the concert the whole time, but I was at an exit with an eye on them.  They grew up to be great productive educated happy women.  They never really even minded.  Once they had boyfriends and went in groups I didn't have to go.....that would be around 17 since they didn't really date until around then.
      May 23, 2017 2:03 PM MDT

I assumed there were rules.. it would be unusual for a child under 16 to be allowed into a concert alone.. but perhaps there aren't rules.. i mean perhaps if you were to drop the child off at the venue then collect them at the end... I really don't know.. but if this is about the tragedy..the thing is..naive as it is, we would expect a child to be safe in that setting.. I wouldn't do it myself but I do know it's fairly normal for a bunch of kids or teens to go to a concert, cinema etc alone.. parents will often drive them there and collect them.. or sometimes a parent will take a bunch of kids and teens...  

I am not sure of the facts on this one.
      May 23, 2017 2:30 PM MDT

The concert is what spurred it. A lot of reports came in that there were many kids alone at the concert. I don't know the ages of the kids, only heard that those alone were basically lost and screaming. Heartbreaking. The reports could have been about 8-year-olds or 16-year-olds. I don't know. I mean, I think one could trust a 16-year-old to know how to behave at a concert, but you can't expect one to know how to behave in a terrorist attack. My oldest is an adult and my youngest is 6. I was sitting here thinking today if/ how this would change my parenting. When I send my kids out, will I brief them on how to look for exits in advance? I mean, I always talked to my oldest about drinking and drugs- we talked about not using, how to say no, and that I'd come get him no questions asked if he ever felt uncomfortable. But, times are changing, learning how to "escape" or behave in case of a tragedy could become the next child training thing- just like teaching stranger danger and how to avoid the perils of drugs/ alcohol.
      May 23, 2017 5:50 PM MDT

• I'm not a parent so I try to project myself into that position.  So I'd say it depends on the venue.  Small, local concert, maybe 13.  Major venue rock or rap, hard call, certainly not under 16, perhaps 18. 
      May 23, 2017 2:41 PM MDT

Anymore...not at all.
      May 23, 2017 2:56 PM MDT

it probably depends on how mature they are and how old the concert lets them go without an adult
      May 23, 2017 2:57 PM MDT

That depends entirely on the concert. Bieber or Hanson? 11, nobody older than that is remotely interested. Do a little research, determine the sort of material the artist performs and go from there. As for the Ariana Grande bombing, all the parents could have done was watch their children get killed or die with them.

Take them there, wait outside, pick them up when they're done, that's fine. Go inside with them, you'll embarrass them to death and assault your own ears with music that in all likelihood you can't stand. That's a universal law - Your Kids' Music Is Absolute Garbage. My mother once told me that her grandfather blamed Bing Crosby for the "decline in modern music". Her own father hated Elvis, "those suggestive movements are unnecessary". Mum detested KISS and AC/DC, "it's not music, it's noise". My pet peeve is rap, the 'C' fell off at the printer's. No melody.
      May 23, 2017 4:54 PM MDT

I don't know, if it was my kids, I think I'd rather die with them. I'd never outlive the guilt and the "what-ifs." What if I had been there? Could I have gotten them to safety? Could I have performed first aid and stopped blood loss? Could I have shielded them from the blast? No doubt, there are many parents wondering this today- a question they shouldn't have to wonder. One woman, alone, routed 50 kids to a nearby hotel. She wasn't even at the concert. Who knows what would have happened to those kids if she wasn't there...

I put up with the Wiggles, Kidz Bop, and countless others who make my ears bleed. I don't think it would be any different for a concert like this.
      May 23, 2017 5:56 PM MDT

The Wiggles actually were quite good once upon a time, when they did the Sydney pub circuit and called themselves The Cockroaches. I saw them perform quite a few times, they were frequent curtain raisers before headline acts at the Sydney Entertainment Centre.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYKP8cPwe4Y
      May 23, 2017 6:04 PM MDT

In our house it was 16. When they could drive their car to and from the venue. 
      May 23, 2017 5:20 PM MDT