Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Is academic cheat all the same?

Is academic cheat all the same?

Consider this.  Students must take many courses outside their major and their interests to be "well rounded".  So say a med student cheats on an exam in art history.  Would you consider this rather different than cheating on an exam in his medical curriculum?

Posted - May 23, 2017

Responses

Let's turn that around - would you trust a surgeon if you knew he cheated on exams?
      May 23, 2017 4:44 PM MDT

• If they were good at what they do I wouldn't have any problem if they cheated on one of the mandatory waste of time classes they were forced to take so they could focus on their actual important studies and subjects.
      May 23, 2017 5:07 PM MDT

You can get around that requirement by taking a double major, like I did.  The courseload is such that there isn't room in one's schedule for bumff.
      May 23, 2017 5:09 PM MDT

• You do realize it's not the same in every country?

Besides that just adds to the course load.   That's not really a solution to the said burn out and situation.
      May 24, 2017 1:19 AM MDT

• This is the point of the inquiry.  Cheating on the art exam does not effect the competency of his medical knowledge, but cheating in a medical course could have dire negative consequences.  So should one say, "Oh, well." to the art cheat or hold that cheating is perhaps a general proclivity of this individual? This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at May 24, 2017 1:16 AM MDT
      May 23, 2017 5:44 PM MDT

• Absolutely.   It's kinda retarded how someone going to school for something like Brain surgery or architectural engineering even has to waste their study time in something like art ( if they aren't interested in it) or other subjects that have ZILCH to do with their actual major.    Sorry but it's clearly just bullcrap to bilk even more money out opf students who are paying for it with loans and if lucky some grants.   It's unnecessary and stupid.
      May 23, 2017 5:06 PM MDT

• In my brief foray at PSU P.E. was required!
      May 23, 2017 5:48 PM MDT

• Silly and pointless.   The whole University model is out of date and based on a Medieval model.   It really could be streamlined considering the obscene amounts of money these Universities are charging.  It's all about the money,  no question.
      May 23, 2017 6:21 PM MDT

i think so
      May 23, 2017 9:40 PM MDT

Science courses are very demanding and not necessary to make a good doctor.  So, maybe a little cheating would be understandable.
      May 23, 2017 10:04 PM MDT