Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Jobs » Is it unreasonable to want to know your schedule of possible employment for summer?

Is it unreasonable to want to know your schedule of possible employment for summer?

Emailed woman I have been a child care provider for , who just had a baby 2 months ago about my potential time to stay /have employement there. She has not brought up anything to me about staying (I care for her toddler, two year old).... either with the new baby or toddler. I emailed her 5 days ago about if/when she is returning to work, and what my hours might be and still has not returned message. Would it be reasonable to want to know your rough hours for June/Summer? I doubt myself a lot, but I do need to see if I need to apply to other places or not... it seems like she does not want to approach the subject, but I figured Id email her first.. should I send second email or just try in person soon ?

Posted - May 24, 2017

Responses

Since you seem to have so much trouble with this woman, why don't you look for a more responsive employer who is willing to commit to work hours and pay?  If you can find other employment, you'd save yourself a lot of aggravation.

May 24, 2017 9:37 AM MDT

I am actually trying to find something else.. I just wonder if it is not practice to ask a month in advance what your schedule might look like, was it too soon I asked? but in my view, I'd need to REALLY look a lot if she is not having me come middle of June... I wonder if she  knows what schedule is and just not telling me... or has not planned it ?
      May 24, 2017 9:40 AM MDT

I really don't know what is usual in terms of advance notice when babysitting as I've never done that.  However, if you can find something else that is more stable, you would probably be less anxious and be better able to plan your own life.  Good luck.
      May 24, 2017 10:13 AM MDT

You really shouldn't doubt yourself so much, ya I know we all do at times, but you are spot on with this.. Your request sounds reasonable and I think in your heart you know you did the right thing.. You have a right to know and to make plans so that you can make sure you have enough money to live and pay the bills..

My suspicion is that she is either a) too busy and doesn't get on the computer much.. or b) is planning to look after the kids herself...  Either way you have a right to know.. Perhaps leave it 7 days in total if you can or even 14 days but yes you should chase if you haven't heard from her. Could you ring her instead? Sometimes a call is easier and more direct? You could say, 'oh hi ..... I sent you an email 5 days ago but I haven't heard back, so I wasn't sure if you had seen it, I know emails sometimes go astray, I was just wondering how you are and whether you have made any plans yet about.....'
      May 24, 2017 9:42 AM MDT

Ty again friend... yes I kind of need to know if I'll have any dinero this summer lol. Ty for saying I am ok in asking this. I think I'll give it a few days more and then send reminder email; if still no reply will talk face to face... ty again D
      May 24, 2017 7:13 PM MDT

The only persons who are on call 24/7 are homicide detectives---but that is part of their job description and they know that before they become one.

Pretty much everyone else has a job with at least a range of hours with the possible exception of emergencies.

You request is very reasonable.

I would suggest you try to contact her directly though.
      May 24, 2017 11:04 AM MDT

What I mean by knowing in advance is not the number of hours only, but is it ok to ask a month in advance about late June schedule? She may be going back to work then, and I am not sure; if she does go back, will I be with newborn? If she doesn't, do I stay with less hours type thing..  I think I will send one reminder email in a few days and then talk face to face if still no reply; ty Tom !
      May 24, 2017 7:11 PM MDT

i dont think so
      May 24, 2017 2:53 PM MDT