Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » FAIR goes out the door when like/dislike enter. Would you vote for the most talented person or the one you liked best? Why?

FAIR goes out the door when like/dislike enter. Would you vote for the most talented person or the one you liked best? Why?

When the TV audience gets to vote sometimes the less talented person gets more votes. Any way around that?  Dancers and singers on TV shows that ask viewers to call in and vote for the favorites sometime seems to be a very stacked deck. Is that OK with you? Does popularity and likability count as much or more than talent?  Why?

Posted - May 25, 2017

Responses

The best. I want to be led not entertained. 
      May 25, 2017 5:24 PM MDT

Here's the backstory behind this question cp. Jim and I watch those "talent" show competitions. Dancing or singing or whatever. It seems, especially lately, that it is isn't the MOST TALENTED one who wins. It's the one  folks like the best. Of course you can't help whom you like. But talent should transcend those limits. I know it's subjective. What isn't? But one show especially was so obviously skewed to the "good guy " rather than the person who did the best job, had the most talent. I mean it's a  TALENT competition. It isn't a popularity contest. SIGH. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday to thee! :)
      May 26, 2017 3:58 AM MDT

i would do whats fair
      May 25, 2017 5:35 PM MDT

Talent is relative. Sometimes the most talented individuals can be downright boring - you can be impressed by their virtuosity but lose interest quickly. Contrariwise, some of the world's best entertainers only display marginal talent musically but are wonderful to watch - the audience is their best instrument. The late Chuck Berry was a prime example - made the most of the talent he had, and kept the punters amused throughout.
      May 25, 2017 6:42 PM MDT

Of course. But here's why I asked the question Sbf. Jim and I watch those "talent"  competition shows. Dancing, singing, whatever. One just ended and while the winner was VERY TALENTED, the 3 top vote getters who were in the finals were NOT. 2 of three were equally great. The 3rd? A very nice guy who had no place in the finals. Far better dancers were eliminated  earlier. It seems he had a lot of fans out there and the show combines the votes of the public along with the judges' votes. I think people are allowed to vote 5 TIMES for each favorite and we just thought it was a travesty. The judges were shocked about  some of the earlier eliminations. He was a very nice guy to be sure but that wasn't what the competition was about. It was about TALENT. As you know I bring to Answermug( as I brought to Answerbag before) things I experience that bother me or concern me. This is one of them. Thanks for listening and your thoughtful reply and Happy Friday! :)
      May 26, 2017 4:05 AM MDT

The most talented of course, but wtf do I know about talent.
      May 25, 2017 6:48 PM MDT

You know what you like.  I'm sure you can tell the difference between "barely adequate" and "splendid" Zack. Jim and I watch the various talent show competitions on TV...dancing, singing. One such show just ended and while the winner WAS very talented as was another of the finalists, the 3rd one was embarrassing. He was a really nice guy who had a lot of fans. Much better dancers were eliminated during the show. MUCH BETTER. They combine the votes of the TV viewers (you are allowed to vote 5 times for your favorite) and the judges were SHOCKED as well and tried to dance around it  by saying how this guy was the heart of the show and winning isn't always about who is best! What a crock of you-know-what! Yadayadayada. It's wasn't a NICE GUY competition. It was a TALENT competition. He came in second over a much better and more talented contestant. All you needed were your eyes to see that yet there he was. The cult of personality wins every time I guess. So I asked the question. I think we're gonna stop watching those shows. They're rigged so what's the point? Bah humbug! Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday! :)
      May 26, 2017 5:24 AM MDT

Sorry Rosie, but 'Talented' is a value judgement that every person must make for himself. Opinion, not something quantifiable.
      May 25, 2017 7:53 PM MDT

If you saw the show we saw JakobA you would not have provided this answer. It was a show about who is the most TALENTED dancer. The guy who came in second was not good enough to be among the 3 finalists. Much better and MORE TALENTED dancers were eliminated earlier and there he was in the finals. The show combines the votes of the TV viewers( who are allowed to vote 5 Times for a favorite) and the judges votes. The judges were shocked as well. Yes. He was a  very nice guy.  It wasn't a competition to determine the NICEST person. It was a competition to determine the BEST DANCER.  I understand your point. Everything is subjective. But this was beyond obvious.  Anyway Jim and I won't be watching those shows. They're rigged in favor of who is the best-liked not who is the best so what's the point? Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday. :)
      May 26, 2017 5:31 AM MDT

I would vote for the most talented. 
      July 9, 2017 8:04 PM MDT