Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Have you read author Jeff Guinn's "The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple?"

Have you read author Jeff Guinn's "The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple?"

~ one of the best non-fiction books I've read; I just finished it yesterday
~ Guinn is incredibly objective in his book
~ it's still all sinking in
~ for me, at least, there is MUCH more to Jones' story and People Temple than I EVER thought -- much of it very admirable, in spite of the tragic horrific conclusion

Posted - May 27, 2017

Responses

Sounds good, I am always on the lookout for interesting books and interesting music.. 
      May 27, 2017 1:53 PM MDT

ok ordered it..
      May 27, 2017 1:56 PM MDT

Oh, my! I hope you enjoy it. I certainly did - - if one 'enjoys' such a book. I consider myself much more enlightened about all of this now (not, though, that we probably ever know EVERYTHING about anything in life). I'm still trying to pinpoint exactly the words for author Guinn's success for me in this book. "Objective" is the closest I come to --  and his fine balance of communicating a very human story. 

PLOT SPOILER JUST A BIT!
    I had no idea all the good that Jones and The Peoples Temple had done over the years prior to the tragedy. How it all transformed into the eventual "ending" that the world knows -- that's where Guinn succeeds for me. It was all, in some ways, a very subtle journey and, yet, very overt at the same time. But it all strikes me, a day after reading, as a series of very Human Events - - humans at our best and worst and everything between.

I hope that's not too much to write.

I really appreciate your answering my question, Adaydreambeliever. Do feel free to let me know what you think of the book!
    :) This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 27, 2017 2:35 PM MDT
      May 27, 2017 2:32 PM MDT

I think it will be just my cup of tea.. I am always interested in why people do things, the choices they make, their motivations... so yes, not a fun read but an interesting one I think. thank you for recommending it.
      May 27, 2017 2:36 PM MDT

You're welcome! I think you may, indeed, find the book interesting. Guinn addresses all of the details you mention.
      May 27, 2017 2:39 PM MDT

My dad actually met Jim Jones when JJ came as a guest speaker.

My dad always claimed that "the Holy Spirit rendered me blind and deaf ... unable to see or hear him {Jim Jones}".

I was never sure if I believed that part, but it was an interesting story.

May 27, 2017 3:01 PM MDT

You're right, Walt O'Reagun - - that is interesting!
    (From the book, Jones was pretty big on the Guest Speaker circuits at different parts of his life and in different parts of the USA -- he must have been a very charismatic and exciting speaker.)
      May 27, 2017 3:06 PM MDT

no, i never read it and never heard of it
      May 27, 2017 5:43 PM MDT

I really found it fascinating.
      June 15, 2017 2:33 PM MDT