Active Now

Spunky
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » When a person drowns in a swimming pool, does the body float to the surface or sink to the bottom?

When a person drowns in a swimming pool, does the body float to the surface or sink to the bottom?

1. Floats.

2. Sinks.

3. Some float, some sink.

4. It depends on many factors.

5. Randy D, what are you up to this time, and you're not going to be asking for bail money again, are you?

6. If it's Randy D, the 8 cinder blocks tied to his ankles will ensure only one outcome. 

7. I do not know.

8. The first thing they'll check is your internet traffic; you're screwed, Grammar Boy. 

9. I'm not getting mixed up in another one of your schemes. 

10.  I am neither a coroner nor a medical examiner.

11. With all those tildes left behind, they'll know immediately who did it. (I'm only here for the reward money.)

12. Other answer:

~

Posted - May 28, 2017

Responses

Decay produces gases that provide sufficient buoyancy to bring a corpse to the surface.
      May 28, 2017 11:47 PM MDT

So initially, it won't sink, the gases have to accumulate, right?
    ~
      May 29, 2017 6:42 AM MDT

10;))
      May 29, 2017 12:15 AM MDT

12.  Just pull him out of the pool and feed him to your tildes.  They should be done with him by the time the police come looking for him.

Do I need to tell you how to do everything?
      May 29, 2017 12:32 AM MDT

(Tildes aren't viscous vicious, I thought you knew that. I thought you considered yourself some kind of tilde-expert.  I thought you kidnapped tildes and took them across international borders because you're supposed to be some kind of tilde-whisperer.  You're fake, you're a phony. I bet you don't even know how to recognize an upside-down tilde, DO you?  [Gasp!] You're one of those people who think that tildes are just punctuation, aren't you?  I don't know who you really are, but a tilde-lover isn't it! Grrrrrrrrr!)

___
    This post was edited by Randy D at May 29, 2017 9:20 PM MDT
      May 29, 2017 6:48 AM MDT

Tildes won't attack a live person unless they were abused but they have been known to consume the remains of dead animals and people.  There was a documented case where tildes were found eating the remains of a Grilled Cheese Sandwich in the house of a tilde hoarder.
      May 29, 2017 12:34 PM MDT

Viscous? What does that have to do with it. Your tildes are vicious, though.
      May 29, 2017 2:02 PM MDT

They're vicious because he beats them.
      May 29, 2017 3:13 PM MDT

Grrrrrrrr, typos!
    ~
      May 29, 2017 9:19 PM MDT

I don't know. Let's throw you in the water and find out.
      May 29, 2017 9:01 AM MDT

Hey, what's with all the cinder blocks? 
    ~
      May 29, 2017 9:22 PM MDT

i think it depends on the person since everyone is different
      May 29, 2017 2:23 PM MDT

How deep is the water is in the pool?---can enough water be displaced to float the body?  How long ago did he drown?

I don't know who your intended victim is Randy, but you need to do a little more research if you expect this to be the perfect crime   lol
      May 29, 2017 2:41 PM MDT

Er, um, I'm asking for a friend. 
    ~
      May 30, 2017 3:28 AM MDT

I hope you have additional friends.  lol
      May 30, 2017 1:37 PM MDT

I now know way more than I ever wanted to on the subject. And, when the FBI knocks on my door, I'm sending them to you.

A cadaver in the water starts to sink as soon as the air in its lungs is replaced with water. Once submerged, the body stays underwater until the bacteria in the gut and chest cavity produce enough gas—methane, hydrogen sulfide, and carbon dioxide—to float it to the surface like a balloon. (The buildup of methane, hydrogen sulfide, and other gases can take days or weeks, depending on a number of factors.) At first, not all parts of the body inflate the same amount: The torso, which contains the most bacteria, bloats more than the head and limbs. The most buoyant body parts rise first, leaving the head and limbs to drag behind the chest and abdomen. Since arms, legs, and the head can only drape forward from the body, corpses tend to rotate such that the torso floats facedown, with arms and legs hanging beneath it.
    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2005/09/dead_mans_float.html
      May 30, 2017 1:03 PM MDT