Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Family » Parents, at what age is it okay to leave your kid at home while you go to work?

Parents, at what age is it okay to leave your kid at home while you go to work?

Posted - July 22, 2016

Responses

It depends on the kid.  My parents left me alone when I was 8 or 9 for a few hours in the afternoon taking care of my brother until my dad came home from work.    I would come home from school and be alone with my brother for at least a few hours.  It never caused one problem.   

That was then.    Nowadays I would not leave my kids unattended for anything.    I don't trust anyone to be safe alone not even me anymore. 

July 22, 2016 1:30 PM MDT

Depends on the child and the  type of area you live in. Some areas probably never.  But if a safe area and the child is mature normally about 13 is safe.

July 22, 2016 1:51 PM MDT

My parents left us alone when I was really young, but I had older siblings. By the time I was old enough for school, I think my oldest sister was in 4th grade, so we were all left alone. 

My son was an only child for the first 10 years of his life and I never felt comfortable leaving him home while I was at work during that time period. 

July 22, 2016 3:17 PM MDT

Depending on their maturity level about 13.  

July 22, 2016 3:30 PM MDT

My gf has left her little son alone at home on occasion while she worked.  This has happened when the boy was only 7 years-old.  But only for a few hours while she worked part-time in the summer.  

July 22, 2016 5:23 PM MDT

Many  states and jurisdictions now set that age by law.  It is a guide; no one knows a child better than mom.  Don't confuse OK with wise.

July 22, 2016 6:27 PM MDT

The parent should be at least 35.

July 22, 2016 6:35 PM MDT

Please share this with her. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/apps/g/page/local/latchkey-children-age-restrictions-by-state/1555/

It's not just what can happen to him, she might never make it back home. 

July 22, 2016 6:36 PM MDT

July 23, 2016 12:47 AM MDT

It is a very scarey thought to leave young children at home by themselves. There is so much evil in the world today. 
    Back in the late 60's early 70's I didn't think anything of leaving my toddler in the car for a few min, if I had to make a quick run into somewhere, until one day I left the car running and went into a corner store for no more that 3 min. and came back to find my car gone. Needless to say, I was devastated but nothing like I would have been if my toddler had of been in that car, it bothers me to this day. Of course if my child had of been in there, I would have locked the car, but still. Unexpected things can happen so quickly.

On another occasion my oldest daughter was fixing fries on the stove and somehow it caught fire, what would have happened if I had not been there? I shudder to think.

Our children are the  greatest things we will ever have, they deserve the very best care we can give them.
      October 24, 2016 8:53 PM MDT