Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Armageddon is the religious way to discuss the end of the world. What is the scientific way to engage in the same discussion? How many billions of years before the earth disappears? Bang or Whimper?

Armageddon is the religious way to discuss the end of the world. What is the scientific way to engage in the same discussion? How many billions of years before the earth disappears? Bang or Whimper?

This is the way he world ends

This is the way the world ends

This is the way the world ends

Not with a bang but a whimper

Poetry to be sure. Even so will the late great earth simply explode/implode/die and disintegrate? When?

Posted - August 1, 2016

Responses

If nature is allowed to take it's course {In about 4 or 5 billion years} The sun will run out of fuel {Hydrogen, Helium} and expand frying all life on the planet, then finally explode into a nova and eventually make little baby stars, lol. Odds are though we will be wiped out long before that. Meteor impact / C02 gas / Nuclear. My guess is unless we get rid off fossil fuels and clean up our act it will be the carbon dioxide {C02} that will come first.

August 1, 2016 5:18 AM MDT

Over millions of years the sun will expand as it becomes a Red Giant. when it does earth will orbit 'inside' the sun. That is not healthy for any kind of life on earth, so we better make plans to move elsewhere before that time. Maybe we can just move the Earth instead. If we make it a moon of Jupiter it should stay habitable. Big project, but there is plenty of time to prepare ;-))

August 1, 2016 5:47 AM MDT

• you might enjoy the anthology of world end stories, "Bangs and Whimpers".

August 1, 2016 8:54 AM MDT

The world is not going to END.  The world as we know it is going to end and if you cannot see that, then maybe you are one of the lucky ones.

August 1, 2016 8:56 AM MDT

• It will be neato when we meeto at Megido.

August 1, 2016 8:58 AM MDT

Eccles. 1:4    One generation passes away, and another generation comes: but the earth stays for ever.

August 1, 2016 12:07 PM MDT

Revelation 21King James Version (KJV)

21 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.

And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.

He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

August 1, 2016 12:12 PM MDT

Move the earth? Yikes? What would it take technology-wise to do that? Thank you for your reply JakobA! :)

September 16, 2016 5:31 AM MDT

• Life as we know it on the planet will disappear long before the planet itself Rosie.

Being baked and irradiated by an enlarging sun would do the trick but the planet only disappears long after that.

Losing the magnetic field would also get rid of life but would leave the planet still standing.

Since these are likely to happen long after the species Sapiens has gone to it's reward (or punishment?) it's not something to worry about overmuch.  The average mammalian species longevity is about a couple of million years.  We're generalists by nature so not so much at the mercy of climate or regional changes, but we shouldn't expect to still be here without significant difficulties for more than a few million years.  Which means that long before the planet goes, we'll be long gone.

September 16, 2016 6:01 AM MDT