Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Does the burning of an American Flag or your nations flag offend you? What if you knew it was made in China?

Does the burning of an American Flag or your nations flag offend you? What if you knew it was made in China?

Posted - August 1, 2016

Responses

Yes burning the American Flag  offends me.  Your post offends me, why don't you delete it? 

August 1, 2016 12:54 PM MDT

Whether it is offensive or not is a moot point, as it is an exercise of the right to free expression, which is of far more importance imho.

August 1, 2016 1:01 PM MDT

August 1, 2016 1:11 PM MDT
  • Bez

I don't like the idea of burning flags. What difference does it make where it was made, if it displays the design of the correct flag for the nation it is supposed to represent? There has always been an import/export business, so why shouldn't that include flags as well as other goods?

August 1, 2016 1:13 PM MDT
  • Bez

I think GoatJumper just wanted to see how offended people would be if they saw their national flag being burned. I don't think it warrants deletion, it's just a survey to see how strongly people feel about that. I don't see anything wrong with the question and if I was a moderator I wouldn't delete it.

August 1, 2016 1:16 PM MDT

I think you have to really be PISSED to do this.    I think you have to know you cannot do this and you had better be ready to face the consequences.   I'm not saying it is not ever warranted, I am just saying this is not some passive act.  You need to know you if do this action, you are going to piss off everyone.   It is beyond disrespectful and it is insulting those who love this place. 

August 1, 2016 1:23 PM MDT

• I don't find it horribly offensive, and I don't think it's an effective form of protest.  Burning books, disco records, Lebron jerseys, and such is just what angry people do when they don't actually have any good ideas.

August 1, 2016 1:29 PM MDT

August 1, 2016 1:30 PM MDT

August 1, 2016 1:32 PM MDT

I could not possibly care less.  I know because I've tried (to care less).

I am sensitive to the feelings of those who putatively fought to defend the flag (i.e., that for which the flag stands), but otherwise I just can't bring myself to give a damn.  It's a piece of friggin' cloth.

August 1, 2016 1:46 PM MDT

August 1, 2016 1:47 PM MDT

August 1, 2016 1:47 PM MDT

In my view, burning books is worse.  It represents a glorification of ignorance/hatred of erudition.

August 1, 2016 1:48 PM MDT

Burning the flag of your country (unless you're doing it as part of the ceremony to "decommission" a worn flag) doesn't make you a "protester", it makes you an asshole.

As to where it's made . . . I have a few American friends that were "made in China", and some were "made in Mexico", even one or two were "made in Cuba". They're every bit as much American now that they entered the States legally and jumped through the Naturalization hoops as anyone else here (being able to seek the Presidency aside). So the point of origin isn't the question for the flag. It's what it stands for.

August 1, 2016 2:23 PM MDT

• By law we are able to burn the american flag to exercise our american rights. An object doesn't make me more or less appreciative of my country. The foundation and the structure that holds it does...
      August 1, 2016 2:23 PM MDT

• It does offend me.  I don't care where it's made .. it's about the symbolism.  It's very disrespectful to burn any country's flag.

August 1, 2016 2:24 PM MDT

• Andy, you hit the nail right on the head... 

I myself posted this as a member and was curious as to how people react to this. 

August 1, 2016 3:38 PM MDT

Yes it does!  I don't care where it was made it shouldn't be burned.

August 1, 2016 6:33 PM MDT

This very garbage is why hardly anybody comes to this site anymore. Before long it will just be the same five to ten left wing lunatics bouncing up and down off the walls in the rubber room now known as Answer Mug. The unbalanced lunatics of the extreme left dominate this site, it is obvious to anybody with an ounce of common sense. It is their life's mission to promote anti-American propaganda, they have done a great job. I guess when all one has in life is existing on government hand-outs and living in front of a computer screen all day long 24/7, that is what consumes one. The site had potential but it looks like the Soros crowd has taken over, long live free speech, I guess...
      August 1, 2016 6:50 PM MDT

It does not offend me.

August 1, 2016 7:28 PM MDT

• nah... it doesn't. the only reason people do it is to make people angry. i don't feed trolls, and i don't worry about non-problems. =)

August 1, 2016 10:26 PM MDT

Why would it matter where the flag was made?
      August 1, 2016 10:31 PM MDT

• Why? I asked a simple question that does not violate free speech, incite violence, or violate any of the site's policies.  I mere inquired as to whether the symbolic gesture of the burning of a national flag offends you.  

You responded accordingly and I appreciate that.

Thank you for your feedback

August 2, 2016 10:38 AM MDT

• That is true and it's important that everyone realizes that.  The burning of the US flag offends the hell out of me, but telling me I can't do it is beyond  offensive.

August 2, 2016 10:54 AM MDT