Active Now

Danilo_G
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » Have you ever sworn to anything on a loved one?

Have you ever sworn to anything on a loved one?

Posted - August 2, 2016

Responses

No, never. Have you?

~
      August 2, 2016 10:06 PM MDT

• No, they're too precious. My mother had once warned me never to under any circumstances, even if I'm sure I'm right. 

I remember this was after a huge argument (a verbal fight, one might say) between my mother and a maidservant when I was 13 or 14, which followed her asking my mother to swear on me about something, I don't remember what.

August 4, 2016 8:07 PM MDT

• I don't know if it counts, but I swore on my life that I would be there for my partner for ever if they would allow me too

August 5, 2016 3:45 AM MDT

• "if they would allow me to."???

Why the qualifier, austrans?

August 5, 2016 5:33 AM MDT

• Perhaps not the best choice of words, I  made the comment at the time, alluding to them being a part of my life for ever, suppose one would have to have been there at the time. 

August 5, 2016 9:16 AM MDT

For me, the entire concept of swearing on or swearing by anything is taboo, for lack of a better word. I don't even use such phrases as, "oh my God", "my God", "I swear it's true", "I swear on my mother's eyes", "I sear by all that's holy", "with God as my witness", and many more. I was brought up not to say those things.

~
      August 5, 2016 9:28 AM MDT

• Thank you, austrans.

August 5, 2016 1:09 PM MDT

• It's always a pleasure :-)
      August 5, 2016 5:57 PM MDT

If I tell you I swear on Satya Sai Baba, I am telling you the unvarnished truth as I see it.  I hardly ever do that, because people will then ask me to as a way to see if I am lying. 

So, I stay silent as a rule, not to open up that can of worms. 

August 5, 2016 6:16 PM MDT

• So long as you're true to Satya Sai Baba and his teachings, you needn't swear on him or any one or anything else. If people cannot accept you at face value, they can go to ... wherever.

August 5, 2016 10:17 PM MDT

• Like marriage vows or a family argument?  "Guilty"
      October 8, 2016 8:08 AM MDT