Discussion » Questions » Relationships » Have you ever had a friend come to you for support during a time of crisis, & you’ve helped them through that crisis.

Have you ever had a friend come to you for support during a time of crisis, & you’ve helped them through that crisis.

But if you’re feeling down “god forbid” they either get annoyed with you for not being your usually bubbly self or keep their distance until they think your better.  

Posted - August 3, 2016

Responses

I have. I even have lost a friendship like this.

August 3, 2016 2:30 AM MDT

Yes. Sadly, I think that goes with the territory if you're a naturally caring and concerned person. You wind up with people around you who feed off that and then they're shocked when they realize you're a person with needs, too. 

August 3, 2016 2:59 AM MDT

True. Happened more than once to me. :-/

August 3, 2016 3:01 AM MDT

• Many times with many friends and I've never refused to do whatever is in my power.

But depression is a different matter - few people understand it unless they've lived through at least one.

Over the last 34 years, when I'm down, my husband is the only one who knows my history well enough to understand what's going on, and then he is at his best.

When I've been at my worst, I've doubted even him.

August 3, 2016 5:06 AM MDT

• When I hear such sad stories, I can't help but feel that long term, maybe it's for the better, generally speaking of course, every situation is different.  

August 3, 2016 7:03 AM MDT

• I think you're correct, I suppose the trick is to not let such people have a negative impact on our ability to help those that are in genuine need of a friend. 

August 3, 2016 7:03 AM MDT

• Well when it's all said & done you must be worth it & your husband is obviously a remarkable person too. 

August 3, 2016 7:08 AM MDT

Yes. I have a neighbor friend who comes over every time she looses a boyfriend. But if I am having a bad day she is busy.

I wonder why she has trouble keeping boyfriends? lol.

August 3, 2016 7:25 AM MDT

Most cases they are for the better, some of them turned out being toxic relationships. Others are a shame and most of all makes me wonder where it all went the wrong way as they seemed being more genuine and sincere than it turned out. Anyway though there won't be much to do about it.
      August 3, 2016 8:51 AM MDT

• :)

August 3, 2016 12:00 PM MDT

Boo hoo. 

Making me feel better is no one's job or duty.  I rarely feel down  but if I do I spend my time alone until I manage to lift my mood. 

August 3, 2016 5:16 PM MDT

Good for you. I'm not sure how relevant the "boo hoo" will be, but then again it might make your day, and lift your mood. I don't read the question as it's anyone's job or duty, it will be more a question about empathy shared and given.
      August 3, 2016 11:41 PM MDT

•   August 6, 2016 8:20 AM MDT

:-)
      August 6, 2016 8:22 AM MDT