Active Now

Slartibartfast
Danilo_G
Malizz
Swoop62
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Do you take the escalator or the stairs?

Do you take the escalator or the stairs?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted - August 3, 2016

Responses

• i've only seen the options for escalator or elevator, and sometimes, stairs or elevator. i've never had to choose between just escalator or stairs. i'd probably pick escalator over stairs, because you can still walk up the escalator if it gets stopped. 

escalator over stairs, and stairs over elevators.

i don't like elevators.

August 3, 2016 11:11 AM MDT

I take stairs.  Because?  EXERCISE.  I don't get enough sometimes.  It really helps. 

I stayed at a friend's home the summer before last and I was only there for two weeks.  I took the stairs in her house for that time several times a day and I lost weight and firmed up, just by doing that one thing.  (I did use the stairs a LOT though)

August 3, 2016 11:16 AM MDT
  • Bez

I use an escalator when there is one available. Some places only have an upward escalator and not a downward one, in which case I go up on the escalator. If there are escalators going both ways I'll use both.

August 3, 2016 11:20 AM MDT

Okay.  That is sensible.  I use the stairs to work out as a rule. 

August 3, 2016 11:22 AM MDT

• Stairs...

August 3, 2016 11:45 AM MDT

AWESOME ANSWER.

MC Escher is wonderful.

August 3, 2016 11:47 AM MDT

• stairs are great exercise, but they aren't as safe as walking. (living in a one level house and staying off ladders is literally on a list i read of things to do to promote a long and healthy life)

i love to exercise, myself. i mix it up between ballet (bar exercises), martial arts (katas and warm up techniques, which are mostly calisthenics) and yoga. sometimes life interrupts my routine for longer than i'd like though, and it can be difficult to start up again, but i do love working out.

sounds to me like you work best with exercise disguised as other things, like just getting back and forth between point a and point b.

August 3, 2016 12:06 PM MDT

Hello t,

I'll never take an escalator since that time I got stuck on one. I was there for three hours before they rescued me.

excon
      August 3, 2016 12:12 PM MDT

Hello lq,

You beat me to the punch. I love that video.

excon
      August 3, 2016 12:16 PM MDT

• I like to combine both to reach my destination quicker by walking up (or down) the escalator.

August 3, 2016 12:35 PM MDT

•  I was in a mall the other day and came to a door marked PUSH, so I pushed and it opened.

The next door was marked PULL, so I pulled and it opened

The next door was marked LIFT, however, try as I  might, I could not budge it

August 3, 2016 1:39 PM MDT

That's like locking yourself out of a convertible.

August 3, 2016 1:46 PM MDT

The stairs generally  if they are located next to each other.  My knees hurt for so many years that that choice is an easy one.  I do my best to stay away from elevators too. Really the only place I ever see escalators is airports.  If I'm lugging a lot of stuff I will ride. 

August 3, 2016 3:14 PM MDT

I was visiting a very large hospital today. Lots of elevators and stairwells. I always use the stairs to FEEL THE BURN. I have nice calves. 

August 3, 2016 3:26 PM MDT

Escalator, if possible.

August 3, 2016 5:29 PM MDT

• cute! =)

August 5, 2016 12:16 AM MDT

August 5, 2016 12:22 AM MDT

I love the things you chose in your answer,  as well.  I do exercise a lot the traditional way and have a small variety.  Your ballet exercises intrigue me.  The closest I get to that is Yoga because I am all about stretching and weights and to me Yoga is using the body as a weight combined with correct breathing. 

I do need more calisthenics.  I do a stationary  bike, I love to walk and hike and climb, that sort of thing.  It's when I have to jump up and down on purpose that bores me and tires me.  I can run around in a game and like that activity, as long as I am not just "running" or doing jumping jacks.  I hate that for some reason.    And I like any exercise in the water.  Love the water.

August 5, 2016 12:27 AM MDT

I'll have to check it out, it seemed to pass me by for some reason,  ex.  Thanks.  LOL

August 5, 2016 12:29 AM MDT

How do you get stuck on an escalator?  HUH? 

I got a chunk of my knee gouged out by one when I tried to run up one that was going down and tripped and the stair bit me.

But how do you get stuck?  Just walk down? 

August 5, 2016 12:30 AM MDT

Goat LOLOLOL  insanity. 

August 5, 2016 12:31 AM MDT

Superman could, I'll bet.  (I'm just saying)

August 5, 2016 12:32 AM MDT

Sorry about the knees.  I wish you lived nearby. 

August 5, 2016 12:32 AM MDT

I think like that too.  I don't want large calves, but it does great for thighs and butt if you move correctly to work that portion.

\

August 5, 2016 12:33 AM MDT