Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Music » Of artists/groups with a degree of longevity (not one-hit wonders), whose first song that you heard remains her/his/their best song in your opinion?

Of artists/groups with a degree of longevity (not one-hit wonders), whose first song that you heard remains her/his/their best song in your opinion?

Two of mine ~

" A Team"  Ed Sheeran ( I didn't realize the music video was so strong)

and 

"Piano Man"  Billy Joel  (though I do really like "Allentown," too)

Posted - June 26, 2016

Responses

The Doors; "Light My Fire".

June 26, 2016 2:50 PM MDT

Anita Baker, You Bring Me Joy

June 26, 2016 4:41 PM MDT

June 26, 2016 4:59 PM MDT

There can be little, if any, argument with your answer, bhwilson!

:)

Great song!

Thanks for answering!

June 26, 2016 5:05 PM MDT

Hi Thriftymaid! Thanks for answering! I sometimes forget in my day-to-day life about such great voices! I've always liked Anita Baker. Especially after a friend asked me to go with her to an Anita Baker concert. And you know what? She sounds just as good "live" as she does on recordings. Amazing. Maybe you've seen her, too, in concert.

But I didn't have "You Bring Me Joy" in my memory of her songs so I listened to it just now. Wow!

June 26, 2016 5:09 PM MDT

Nat King Cole, Unforgettable.

Chances Are, Johnny Mathis.

I left my heart in SF, Tony Bennett,

Feels So Good, Chuck Mangione.

How Deep Is Your Love, The Bee Gees.

Too many too list.
      June 26, 2016 5:10 PM MDT

Hi Old School!

I don't think I've heard either of these songs before. I liked listening, thanks!

That Icehouse song I liked immediately. A disturbing video to say the least! I like the "EveryMan" look to the lead singer in this video --  his haircut and clothes and his features just seem very everyday in an appealing way (though, again, the song and video are rather sad and disturbing). But I may be going out to buy more music by Icehouse. I know I've heard another song by Icehouse posted by someone in answermug --  maybe it was you. I simply can't remember at the moment, though.

And the Mermen - - NICE instrumental!

Thanks for answering!

June 26, 2016 5:28 PM MDT

You did much better than I did in thinking of answers, peaceofmind50!

Those are answers, like I said in another answer, that are hard to argue with!

I'm thinking Nat King Cole sang a song I really like - - something like, "Hazy, Crazy Days of Summer." I think that might be the title. I'm unsure if he sang that one. I think he did, though. I've always liked how that song made me feel. Cole is a voice all his own. No one like him in the world to me.

Thanks for answering!

June 26, 2016 5:34 PM MDT

• This was the first single I heard from the album, 'Welcome To The Beautiful South' from 1989.  Although I don't think it's their best (there are better lyrics on other songs in my opinion), it has, unsurprisingly, stuck with me.

June 26, 2016 5:43 PM MDT

Hi MrWitch ~

I've never heard this song until now. I don't think I've heard of the group, either.

This song is better than 95% of what I'm hearing on the radio currently, almost 30 years after it was released. I hope to remember this group.

Thanks for answering!

June 26, 2016 6:40 PM MDT

• Californian dreaming ... the mommas and the poppas

June 26, 2016 6:43 PM MDT

They are one of my very favorite groups!

And that song is great for sure!

I like pretty much anything they sing.

Thanks for answering, ozgirl256 ~

June 26, 2016 6:48 PM MDT

Taking Care Of Business by BTO. The first time I heard it was at a free outdoor concert and it was shortly after Randy Bauckman and Ted Turner formed the band after they left the Guess Who. People in the crowd didn't know what to expect because they were used to them being in the Guess Who but when they starting doing them first guitar licks for taking Care of Business people were blown away. Cheers and happy weekend!
      June 26, 2016 7:01 PM MDT

I LOVE THAT SONG!!

and BTO is a group I really like, too!

Thanks for answering and thanks for the great story -- and best wishes to you, too!

("Looking Out For Number One" is one of my favorites by them --  it sounds so unlike the rest of their stuff to me

but oh-so-smooth! Maybe I'll try posting it here)

June 26, 2016 7:08 PM MDT

June 26, 2016 7:13 PM MDT

• 'Welcome to the Beautiful South' is one of the best first albums I've ever heard.  They have a habit of producing sometimes dark lyrics set to nice cheery tunes.  :)

Here's something that may be a bit different to that.  Not so much 'established' as 'getting established', but it's the best single I've heard so far from him and it was the first I heard.  I could listen to this for hours.  :)

June 26, 2016 7:15 PM MDT

@WQ -- Thank you for your kind comments.

There is another former ABer (and Mugger) named Slartibartfast who is also an Icehouse fan. We've both posted videos over the years. I'm a bigger fan of Icehouse's early work while he likes their later songs more than I do. Enjoy!

June 26, 2016 7:16 PM MDT

Oh, my! That's great! He lets his voice shine through over the subdued guitar - - such a smooth clear voice. Nice!

Thanks for adding him to your answer, MrWitch.

I will not surprised if I soon buy that "Welcome to the Beautiful South" album. Yes, that woman in the wall song - - I thought what you said ~"this is such a trippy happy sounding song but the lyrics seem a bit dark."

June 26, 2016 7:25 PM MDT

I enjoyed listening too.  She's great.  This is the first song I ever heard by her.  I was an instant fan.

June 26, 2016 7:42 PM MDT

I believe the band and song that was highest on the charts for the longest time and is still up there is, Led Zeppelin "Stairway to Heaven". 

June 27, 2016 5:52 AM MDT

• No problem Welby.  It's always a pleasure when people appreciate what we appreciate.  :)

June 27, 2016 6:21 AM MDT

Old singers and their signature songs:
    (I don't know if it was their first recording it hit.)
    1. Barbara Streisand---"People".
    2. Blue Oyster Club--"(Don't Fear) The Reaper".
    3. Beatles---"Yesterday".
    4. The Animals---"House of the Rising Sun".
    5. Jimmy Buffet---"Margaritaville".
    6. Frank Sinatra---"New York, New York".
    7. Lee Greenwood---"God Bless the USA".
    8. Madonna---"Like A Virgin".
    9. Michael Jackson---"Beat It".

I like your choices. Thanks for sharing, Welby.
      June 27, 2016 6:30 AM MDT

• A long way from a one-hit-wonder, this group has been active since 1933. :)

The Sons of the Pioneers - "Tumbling Tumbleweeds" (1949)

June 27, 2016 8:39 AM MDT

I love a lot of Muse's songs but this song..this song is PERFECT. It makes me want to cry, sing, dance and sometimes all at the same time.

June 27, 2016 11:31 AM MDT