Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Core Clinton supporters are comprised of women, minorities, college educated. Trump's core supporters are white, males, blue collar, HS diploma or less. What does that tell you?

Core Clinton supporters are comprised of women, minorities, college educated. Trump's core supporters are white, males, blue collar, HS diploma or less. What does that tell you?

Posted - August 5, 2016

Responses

Where did you get this information from?

August 5, 2016 12:40 PM MDT

Clinton supporters are dreamers, Rump supporters are the physical builders of America. 

August 5, 2016 1:09 PM MDT

Trump loves the uneducated.

August 5, 2016 1:27 PM MDT

Why do you say that?

August 5, 2016 1:30 PM MDT

2 Timothy 3:7 Always learning but never able to come to a knowledge of the truth.
      August 5, 2016 1:30 PM MDT

Having all knowledge but lacking in Wisdom. Wisdom~the quality or state of being wise; knowledge of what is true or right coupled with just judgment as to action; sagacity, discernment, or insight.
      August 5, 2016 1:38 PM MDT

Tells me that it's wrong.  And an very big brush they are painting with.

Do I believe it may indeed break down upon college educated vs non-college? Sure....because it is the middle-class that has gotten the short end of the trade deals for the last few decades starting with Clinton's NAFTA. It is the blue-collar middle class who has to compete against the illegal worker.  

August 5, 2016 1:39 PM MDT

BH Wilson

August 5, 2016 1:40 PM MDT

Common Sense trumps book sense any day!!

August 5, 2016 1:41 PM MDT

My education mostly taught me how much more there is to know. It was a humbling experience.

August 5, 2016 1:44 PM MDT

August 5, 2016 1:47 PM MDT

my2 cents~

August 5, 2016 1:48 PM MDT

It tells me there are a) a whole lot more blue collar workers than snobbish intellectual elites, and that b) an ass whuppin' of apocalyptic proportions is awaiting the poster child for snobbish intellectual elitism.

Look, I get why nobody likes Trump. Hell, I don't like Trump...but I can understand why he gets more popular with each and every attempt to vilify and dehumanize him.  Anybody who's ever been bullied, berated and belittled can identify with Trump and, since that's the majority of us, it doesn't augur well for Hillary's future to keep attacking the man.  Don't say you weren't warned.

August 5, 2016 1:53 PM MDT

Silverwings,

When I was going to college I drove a tour bus for an observatory run by the Smithsonian. I had only a passing interest in Astronomy as they did some real geeky stuff there and most of it was over my head. I was more interested in the mechanics of the telescopes and how they were built and maintained.

There was this man who occasionally come to my church who worked in Astronomy who would always talk about this stuff that I think he knew was over my head but he was a very arrogant person. One time when he was talking all of this stuff my son came up to me and said dad, he is smarter than you are. I said no he is more educated, there is a difference.

August 5, 2016 1:56 PM MDT

He said so himself: 

Sorry, "poorly educated", not "uneducated".

August 5, 2016 3:37 PM MDT

That's why I don't believe in the Bible.

August 5, 2016 3:38 PM MDT

The Tea Partiers finally finding a home.

August 5, 2016 4:47 PM MDT

A lot.

August 5, 2016 8:22 PM MDT

I'm a woman and I don't support Hillary. I'm white and don't support Trump. What does that mean? Am I some kind of freak ;)

August 5, 2016 8:33 PM MDT

• that i can be profiled.

i am who i am! =) 

August 5, 2016 8:34 PM MDT

• I think it's a bit more nuanced than, 'Trump supporters are stupid'.  That may be a reason, but it's not the only one.

I would say the level and longevity of this support is due, at least in large part, to the direction global capitalism has taken since the 80s.  The people outlined as Trump supporters could, a few decades ago, leave school with little or nothing by way of qualifications and still make enough of a living to bring up a family.  Those days are long gone unfortunately, and while many media news sources concentrate on the 'squeezed middle', the thoroughly squashed less qualified, less affluent and less capable are rather ignored by media and government alike.

This I think is part of the backlash.  While some of Trump's supporters may be dumb enough to think a reality tv host can run a country, Trump has been doing his best for a while now to reduce those numbers.  Let's not forget the proper debates haven't actually started yet.  If Trump manages to address one in five issues with a coherent reply I'd be very surprised.

It may seem strange that repeated cock-ups have failed to significantly dent his support (until recently, if polls are to be believed).  But if your main reason for voting is to give the powers that be a shock, why would you change, regardless of what he says or does?  I have no doubt a Trump presidency would be a disaster, but if you feel you have nothing to lose, why not get a good kick in before voting closes?

August 6, 2016 8:28 AM MDT

Hello Goat:

It tells me that the more you know, the more liberal you become.  More proof can be found on a red and blue political map.  Every town that has a major university, is BLUE..  That's not a mistake.

excon

August 6, 2016 8:36 AM MDT

WAre these the same supporters that cheered when Hillary said she was going to raise taxes on the middle-class? Wow, what a smart bunch.
      August 6, 2016 12:45 PM MDT

A reality TV host? what kind of crap is that? He was a businessman way before reality TV came along. To portray him as a reality TV host is really lame.

August 6, 2016 1:26 PM MDT