Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Politics » How many British AnswerMug users think that since last Thursday's vote was a non-binding referendum that parliament may split just short of

How many British AnswerMug users think that since last Thursday's vote was a non-binding referendum that parliament may split just short of

favoring Brexit, citing Northern Ireland and Scotland's opposition as their reason for tilting the vote 52 to 48% in favor of staying? 

Posted - June 26, 2016

Responses

There's already a large  majority for remaining at Westminister but whether parliament is ready to thwart the referendum result is anyone's guess.

June 27, 2016 1:30 AM MDT

Its a complete f___ing mess! Neither Vote Remain or Vote Leave thought that Leave would win, Cameron and George Osborne resigned over it, Labour MPs have tabled a no-confidence motion in Corbyn, there is NO leadership in the country, there may be an election to validate whoever replaces Cameron as Prime Minister, and who knows when we will actually submit the actual article 50 declaration to leave the EU. The MPs of both partys are more concerned about their own survival than getting the country sorted out. I don't think parliament would dare to deny the will of the people, even if it was only passed by a narrow majority, and I don't think it should. I voted to stay in, but the principle of democracy is that goverment is supposed to serve the people, not tell us what to do, and the vote was to leave, so that is that! This is doing nothing to improve the pathetic level of trust in politicians the public have; that trust is more totally shattered than it was before! Hey, Peza, am I right in thinking you voted to stay in?
      June 27, 2016 7:57 PM MDT

@HD -- Are the people not allowed to change their minds?

At one time in the USA, production/sale of alcholic beverages was illegal. After about a decade, the people decided it was a bad idea and repealed the ban.

My impression from the media coverage and discussion of the Brexit vote suggests many of the people who voted for it are having misgivings and second thoughts. I don't have a strong opinion on the matter, but maybe a somewhat "cleaner" process for implementing the Brexit (with the costs/benefits/complications spelled out) needs to be voted upon, rather than the apparently vague language of the proposition which was passed.

June 27, 2016 8:10 PM MDT

I could definitely see the possibility of a redo on the vote, with the stipulation that if Northern Ireland and Scotland disagree again then they should be offered a new independence vote. 

June 27, 2016 8:30 PM MDT

Old School, the question was simple enough; should Britain remain a member of the European Union. The Vote Leave campaign spent all their time banging on about immigration, and not talking about the economic aspects, because they knew they did not have a strong argument there. I only got one leaflet through my door from Vote Leave four days before the referendum, whereas I had five leaflets from Vote Remain, months in advance, including the official government leaflet. In my opinion, Vote Leave ran a shambolic campaign. I honestly think if they had not resorted to the dirty trick of making it all about those nasty foreign immigrants, they wouldn't have won.
      June 28, 2016 10:22 AM MDT

@HD

I didn't get to vote mate as I've been living in France for the last four years and I can tell you that over here the decision to leave is being met with disbelief and deep sorrow. I actually feel quite ashamed to be British at this moment in time. How on earth did the lunatic fringe of the Tory Party and a rag bag of flag-wavers and xenophobes manage to convince the people that it should leave the EU. Well we know actually ;  they swallowed hook , line and sinker the immigration lies and hysteria and voted on that single issue.

It's the young people I feel sorry for mate who voted overwhelmingly to remain. What is their future now ? In one fell swoop , the generation of their parents has chose to deny them the right to live and work in 30 countries in favour of ..... god knows what. It's the ' I'm alright Jack ' attitude of small-minded and selfish people which really sticks in my throat. Let them have their blighted little island all to themselves , I'm done with them now and will be seeking French citizenship just as soon as I am able to.

June 28, 2016 11:24 AM MDT
  • Bez

Anything is possible with our dodgy Government. We've had 37 years of that kind of underhanded behaviour. I wouldn't put anything past them.

June 28, 2016 11:37 AM MDT

Even if there is a re-vote and the decision is reversed does not the EU have to agree to allow the UK back in?

I heard a news report (take with a grain of salt) that the EU would not automatically accept the UK back.

June 28, 2016 11:52 AM MDT

I can't see any grounds for a new referendum being called. Like it or not , the Leave campaign won fair and square. It just reminds me of that old adage ; “In a democracy people get the leaders they deserve.”

June 28, 2016 12:02 PM MDT

I agree, Peza, it was mostly the nationalists and xenophobes voting to get out. Some of the people who voted to leave were thinking of other things, but the Vote Leave campaign made immigrants their main point, and that is what the stupid majority were taken in by. And they were taken in. If we do a trade deal with the EU, they will insist that we accept free movement, anyway, so it won't make a jot of difference to immigration. It just gets me down. Cameron was weak to have the stupid referendum in the first place, just because he was worried about losing a few votes to UKIP, and he needed to keep his own back benchers on board. Our countries future has been thrown away. I can only hope that it won't be as bad as I think it will, but I don't hold out much hope, and with the Conservative party, on either side of the argument, giving zero leadership, Labour tearing apart at the seams, there is no goverment, no opposition, so who the hell is going to sort it out? There wouldn't be any point to having another referendum so soon after this one. I keep using the word shambles; it is the only word that fits!
      July 1, 2016 5:32 AM MDT

When dealing with the government there is always one thing to expect.....the government to do what they want even if it means ignoring the will of the people.
      July 1, 2016 6:49 AM MDT

I would normally agree, 2cents, but right now, we don't have a goverment - not that's working, anyway!
      July 1, 2016 3:18 PM MDT

They had better think of something fast because we know how NOT EMBARRASSING themselves takes priority over anything else.   Saving face is their only  priority.   Sounds very Republican-like to me.

July 1, 2016 3:21 PM MDT