Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Music » Most recently, what song did you hear unexpectedly and it bettered your day?

Most recently, what song did you hear unexpectedly and it bettered your day?

~ Mine was "Sundown" by Gordon Lightfoot

~ I may not be able to respond to answers for a while; I just wanted to share my excitement about Lightfoot's song

Be well, all!

:)

Posted - August 14, 2016

Responses

At first I thought it was the introduction to 'Werewolves of London', but it was that stupid song my Kid Rock. 

August 14, 2016 3:49 PM MDT

So Kid Rock is to blame for ruining a great song? I fall for it ,too ,every time I hear that introduction -- "Is this 'Werewolves' or that stupid song?" I never bothered to know who did the stupid song. Now I know, thanks!

Thanks for your answer, bhwilson!

August 14, 2016 8:09 PM MDT

August 14, 2016 8:47 PM MDT

http://hawaiianrainbow.com is a radio station that I have been listening to for a little over ten years. A little over a third of the programming is music of the sort you describe. If you like history you can go to http://pandora.com and search "slack key paradise" and eventually you will get a recitation of the history of slack key music.

August 14, 2016 10:29 PM MDT

Mungo Jerry, "In the summertime".

August 15, 2016 4:22 AM MDT

•   August 16, 2016 4:56 AM MDT

Thanks, Jewels Vern!

I appreciate your answer and links.

August 16, 2016 6:10 AM MDT

Thanks, lovelywarpedlemon -- I'm going to try to listensoon here to the entire album of music here soon. Thanks for the clip!

UPDATE: Song #2 just came on! Gotta love that one!

August 16, 2016 6:12 AM MDT

I like that song, too, BahamaSurfdog! Thanks for answering my question!

August 16, 2016 6:13 AM MDT

Hi charface!

I just listened and liked this song. I hadn't heard it before.

Thanks for your answer!

August 16, 2016 6:14 AM MDT

Hi lovelywarpedlemon!

I was doing some work here in this room and I just finished listening to the entire hour you shared in your link. I enjoyed!! Thanks ~

August 17, 2016 5:29 PM MDT

August 20, 2016 7:43 PM MDT

I loved that guy, Welby.  I loved Emerson, Lake and Palmer too. I just thought of them in that era for some reason. This is another song I loved that any time I hear it I get a burst of happiness.

It was all from about the same era.  This is older, but they put it on this album in the early 70's. 

August 20, 2016 7:48 PM MDT

Gorgeous.

August 20, 2016 7:48 PM MDT

I loved it, Sodapop!

Even though, to me, that duck is a little cruel. In a funny way.

In the video, I liked how the lemonade seller's facial expressions kept changing after each "the very next day."

Thanks for answering!

August 21, 2016 3:44 PM MDT

Hi, Sharonna!

I've not heard this song until now. It certainly skips along merrily! Nice! I like it in the first ten seconds with the instrumental introduction.

Thanks for your answer!

August 21, 2016 3:54 PM MDT
  • Bez

"Reet Petite" by Jackie Wilson. It came on suddenly in a shop. I've always liked that song. It first came out a few years before I was born, but it became a hit again as a reissue when I was about 24. If I'd been alive in 1957 it would have been a hot contender for my favourite single of the year. This video accompanied the eighties reissue:

PS: I love the Gordon Lightfoot song as well. He is one of the best singers to come from Canada. :)

August 21, 2016 3:58 PM MDT

That was excellent!!

I never heard it before.

Thanks for answering, Andy B!

I liked this video, too.

I hope some time I'm in a shop and that song comes on, too.

August 21, 2016 4:38 PM MDT
  • Bez

Haven't you heard "Reet Petite" before, Welby? It's a well-known song and I thought Jackie Wilson was well-remembered in the US.

August 22, 2016 11:50 AM MDT

Another admission from me of the "believe-it-or-not" sort! Ha!

Indeed, I have heard much about Jackie Wilson and from what I've heard, he's spoken of highly. But I now realize I don't think I ever listened to him. This song certainly is great, though. I think they could re-release it yet again!

I'm glad you liked the Lightfoot song, too.

I'm listening to The Dream Academy now. I really like them. I have three albums of theirs. I don't know if they made anymore. I guess I could research that easily. The three albums I have are "The Dream Academy," "Remembrance Days," and "a different kind of weather." That last one is printed in all lower-case letters on the album itself.

"Indian Summer" just finished, off the "Remembrance Days."

I'm having a challenging day in some ways and a fine day in other ways.

"Indian Summer" I like almost as much as "Life in a Northern Town." Maybe I'll stick it in my comment here, just for fun.

August 24, 2016 3:49 PM MDT

• Surfing through YouTube, the other day, I ran across the a new version of the RC model of Airwolf.
    The video is backed-up by the theme song, of the show, and it was a pleasant surprise to hear it after
    all this time, as it was always one of my favorite theme songs.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at August 15, 2017 7:17 PM MDT
      October 3, 2016 7:00 PM MDT

Thanks, ALF! I never watched the show, believe it or not.
    :) Thanks for your answer!
      October 3, 2016 7:30 PM MDT

• I wasn't crazy about the hero/star, but the rest of the show was okay.
      October 3, 2016 7:46 PM MDT

I am answering my own question. UPDATE: I just saw that it was a year ago today that I originally posted this question!

Today I heard Ed Sheeran's " The A-Team" --
    it's the first song I ever heard by him and no song I've heard from him since comes anywhere near the beauty and poetry of this song. Powerful video, too.
    Ed Sheeran - - can you ever do better than this song? It's OK with me if you don't -- this song is tops.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at August 15, 2017 6:45 PM MDT
      August 14, 2017 7:53 PM MDT