Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » anyone know what foodstamps has taken out lately besides starbucks coffee drinks?

anyone know what foodstamps has taken out lately besides starbucks coffee drinks?

I went to the store today to get some stuff with my foodstamps and found out that it wont take those starbucks coffee drinks, the guy that was cashiering told me about it, i guess they dont want diabetics drinking it or something like that, i cant call and ask them cause its saturday but i just wondered what else they took out that you cant get with foodstamps anymore. what about sodas? i used to drink them but havent had one in yrs and was curious if they took those out too, anything else? just thought it would be easier for me not to put it in the cart to save time later than waste time having to put stuff back so i wondered what else you cant buy with them

Posted - August 20, 2016

Responses

guess i just like them cause i get bad headaches and the caffeine helps, the bottled drinks are easier to take, its not like i can take a coffee maker to college, guess i'll be drinking tea now

August 20, 2016 1:24 PM MDT

Ok sorry. I did not know those were not allowed.  I know Monster energy drinks are not.

I think they should be allowed.

August 20, 2016 1:41 PM MDT

Actually there are small coffee makers for dorms or small apartments.  But like I said I think you should be allowed to get the individual bottled drinks...no different than a soda, milk, juice, water, etc in a individual bottle. It cool that you are going back to college Pearl, study hard.

August 20, 2016 1:48 PM MDT

I do not know exactly what you mean by "Starbucks coffee drinks". In actuality, there has been practically no change to eligibility items since I worked in a grocery store in the days before electronic cash registers automatically sorted eligible from non-eligible items. There were signs posted asking that food stamp customers sort them into separate orders. Just about anything packaged or displayed as food, with no cooking done at the location of sale, could be bought with food stamps. Any drinks that are hot or prepared, such as prepared coffee at an in-store Starbucks, are not eligible. The same goes for lamp-heated chickens, sausages, and fish fillets from the deli. Some food retailers get around that by selling eligible items cold and then heating them after purchase. If what you were trying to buy was not prepared in-store then possibly the clerk was confused or misinformed, though I cannot guarantee that.

None of that is to say there have not been efforts to change eligible items. Some have wanted to remove soda pop, luxury food items, or certain things that supposedly are not good for you. The Obama Dept. of Agriculture is now on a kick that SNAP-eligible stores must make room and storage for more fresh items. Many retailers lack the space, and EBT customers will rarely buy them anyway, which would lead to high costs of storage, refrigeration, and spoilage. To date, none of those proposals have come to fruition.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/358490/no-food-stamps-soda-ka...
    http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/congress/articl...
    https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2016/02/17/2016-03006/enha...
    http://dailycaller.com/2014/06/30/11-things-you-didnt-know-you-coul...

August 20, 2016 1:51 PM MDT

went  back to school cause i couldnt get a job, theres just something about financial aid, it gives you money to live on

August 20, 2016 2:15 PM MDT

Money you have to pay back.  Are you excluded from that detail?  

August 20, 2016 3:20 PM MDT

i get grants, i havent taken out loans

August 20, 2016 3:28 PM MDT

I think M2C hit on something here. I bet the drinks you were looking at were classified as energy drinks. Starbucks has new ones with extra caffeine and such. If you were trying to get one of those, it would be denied. Those or a double shot or something.... a regular coffee drink shouldn't get denied, nor should soda.

States can change their own rules and add restrictions on top of the general ones. A few states have tried knocking it down to things like bread, cheese, and milk only, but I don't see any recent changes in your state at all.

You can always try instant coffee, too.  If you can't get a coffee pot, try some of the ones you can make from a powder.

August 21, 2016 1:34 AM MDT

On the 11 things... I'm not sure what bewilders me more about the list... lingerie or Taco Bell. Taco Bell isn't food. Everybody knows that. :o

August 21, 2016 1:38 AM MDT

I think the general rule is, if it already prepared (coffee already brewed, cooked chicken etc) then it is not allowed on food stamps.  I do know they do not allow energy drinks.  As far as I know sodas are still allowed but they are always talking about not allowing them either.

August 20, 2016 11:58 AM MDT

I have never had them allow for Starbucks Coffee Drinks and what's more I don't think they should be allowed.  Food Stamps are for people who are on a budget and this is just throwing good money away. Go to the grocery store and buy a bag of Starbucks coffee and get a coffee maker and for the cost of 3 coffees, you have a whole bag that should last a month.  For the cost of 5 coffees, you have a decent coffee-maker.  So that is just a waste of money.

August 20, 2016 12:06 PM MDT

im talking about the bottled drinks, not the hot ones

August 20, 2016 1:23 PM MDT