Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Do you think the Trump speech 'What the hell do you have to lose' on blacks was to help gain more black support?

Do you think the Trump speech 'What the hell do you have to lose' on blacks was to help gain more black support?

If so, I have a bridge in New York for sale, (for you) I'll sell it real cheap..  Smh..

Posted - August 20, 2016

Responses

If this guy ever grows a brain he'll be dangerous.

August 20, 2016 2:39 PM MDT

Sadly, there is more than a little truth to what he said.

August 20, 2016 3:26 PM MDT

Smh..

August 20, 2016 3:31 PM MDT

I see you edited your original comment. 

Are you saying that the black community doesn't suffer more poverty, higher dropout rates, worse schools, higher rates of crime, higher unemployment rates and high incarceration rates than the others?  If you are, then I feel sorry for you.

August 20, 2016 3:42 PM MDT

NO..I'm saying (as specifically asked in my question) he wasn't speaking to gain support from blacks.  It would take some research to reveal who he really was appealing to, It's out there.. (I won't provide the sites)

Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain and most fools do..    Don't feel sorry for me..I'm good, fo' shizzle..

August 20, 2016 4:00 PM MDT

Well, considering how few people (sometimes, me included) do any research about candidates, most will think he's appealing to the black voters.  I still believe that they're smart enough not to fall for Trump's BS.

August 20, 2016 4:10 PM MDT

Hello B:

I think it was to gain WHITE support.  No white suburban mom wants to be associated with a bigot and Trump is trying to convince them..  Look..  In another speech a few days ago in North Carolina, Trump was very unhappy that the Supreme Court rolled back their Voter ID law.  Black people pay very close attention to these things..  They will not fall for the okee doak.  White suburban soccer moms, not so much..

excon

August 20, 2016 4:23 PM MDT

Spot-on exon..  As Joe would say..his courting the black vote was"MALARKEY"

August 20, 2016 5:11 PM MDT

They been falling for the democrats bull for decades.
      August 20, 2016 5:16 PM MDT

They haven't fared well under either party. 

August 20, 2016 5:48 PM MDT

I'm still looking to buy oceanfront property in Arizona.

August 21, 2016 6:06 AM MDT

Hello O:

What have progressives done for the black vote lately???  Let me count the ways.. But, let's just take ONE issue - voter ID laws.  Those are laws DESIGNED to suppress the black vote by right wing legislatures all over this great land of ours..  Progressive liberals have been fighting them, and winning. 

How did you miss that?

excon

August 21, 2016 6:20 AM MDT

Give me a break. Another reason why I am not a democrat, because I don't need a party who sees me as a victim. The democrat party should tell their supporters to just get the darn ID, instead of making excuses why they can't. Isn't the party really saying that blacks are too poor, lazy, hopeless, or too helpless to get a photo ID?
      August 21, 2016 6:49 AM MDT

Hello not:

Too poor, yes..  Too lazy, hopeless or helpless is just plain racist..  I dunno why it's so hard for right wingers to understand poverty..  

Look..  A few years ago, in regards to literacy tests, you COULD have said, why don't black people just learn to read.  They must be too lazy or helpless.  The question I have is, WOULD you have said that??

excon

August 21, 2016 7:22 AM MDT

@excon, most places you can get a photo ID for nothing. As far as being lazy, helpless, and hopeless goes, that what the democrat party is implying ( not me). They treat their supporters as victims. A homeless buddy, without any money, has a photo ID.
      August 21, 2016 2:26 PM MDT

22 states have passed new voting restrictions over the past four years.  Washington Post.

Double whammy in some. Voter Id or/and cuts to early voting which people of color tend to take advantage of at greater rates than whites.

August 21, 2016 4:22 PM MDT

• Lol it just made me laugh...
      August 21, 2016 5:17 PM MDT

Hello again, not:

Like I said, you have NO idea what it's like to be poor..  I'm not gonna convince you that voter ID is voter suppression plain and simple, so I'll let the Federal Appeals Court do my talking for me. 

In striking the law down, they said its provisions deliberately “target African-Americans with almost surgical precision” in an effort to depress black turnout at the polls.

excon

August 21, 2016 5:34 PM MDT

Hello again, O:

I'll defer to the Federal Appeals Court..  Here's what they said when they struck the law down:  "..its provisions deliberately 'target African-Americans with almost surgical precision' in an effort to depress black turnout at the polls".

excon

August 21, 2016 5:40 PM MDT

Hello again, O:

Just a minor correction..  The Appeals Court for the 4th Circuit isn't just ONE judge.  It's 15 judges, and not all of 'em are libs.

excon

August 22, 2016 6:50 AM MDT

You mean a poor person can't afford to get something that is FREE? Let me get out my violin.
      August 22, 2016 7:51 AM MDT

For the last 6 months, I've been saying  " The more Trump talks,  the bigger a fool he makes of himself ". I see no reason to feel different about this !

August 22, 2016 7:58 AM MDT