Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Element 99
Shuhak
Maurice214
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Can you name/share a movie that has a memorable beginning to you?

Can you name/share a movie that has a memorable beginning to you?

Orson Welles' "Touch of Evil" always comes to my mind ~ 

once seen, never forgotten

three-and-a-half minutes of cool suspense

Posted - August 22, 2016

Responses

Oh, no apologies necessary, MrWitch but I appreciate your thoughtfulness. (one of the best-ever movies I've seen is Michael Haneke's original 1997 "Funny Games" and I think I could only "take" seeing it once. Terribly disturbing to me but a masterpiece to me at the same time.

Mozart - - yeah, quite the guy!

Ha! Yes, Maybe I need to take back a little of the pride I felt about people mentioning Hulce's performance and me. His Amadeus goes rather over the top quite often! When wound up, I can get quite talkative and active, I guess. If that is one of the things that tell you something. 

:)

August 24, 2016 4:02 PM MDT

I've not seen that movie but your story is great! Cool!!!

Thanks for answering, Andy B!

I'll need to look up all these opening scenes from all these movies people are answering with!

August 24, 2016 4:04 PM MDT

I've not seen "Drive." I'll need to look up the scene, Mr. Bromide. I remember well the opening credits of "THe Shining;" they could arguably be some of the best scenes in the movie.

Thanks for your answer!

Like I said in Andy B's answer, I now need to look up all these scenes people have answered with!

August 24, 2016 4:06 PM MDT

Hi Marguerite Matisse, the Beloved!

I've not seen "Spectre," nor any of the Bond films starring Daniel Craig --  and I really like him as an actor. And he's fine to just look at anyway, ha!

I looked up the "Spectre" opening scene, though --  very nice!! If you have time, watch the "Touch of Evil" opening from my question --  the scene is very much along the same lines.

Thanks for answering!

August 24, 2016 4:09 PM MDT

Jaws. 

I saw this in the show in the 70's.  It was brand new and scared the bejeezus out of my boyfriend and me.

August 24, 2016 4:09 PM MDT

I loved the book The Shining.   Stanley did a fair job of it and made certain scenes really good.  When the kid was alone, those were the worst. 

August 24, 2016 4:11 PM MDT

nice

August 24, 2016 4:13 PM MDT

I'm sort of surprised that no one had answered with this one, yet, Sharonna! Good for you for bringing it on!

SUCH a great scene!!

Thanks for answering!

And I love opening theme and also the music behind PLOT SPOILER!!!! JAWS!!!! 

"Chrissie's Death."

The whole John Williams score is great to me.

August 24, 2016 4:13 PM MDT

Hi Sharonna!

Did you mean to use this particular clip? The visuals are correct but the music and audio definitely are not from the movie.

I highly believe this is NOT the music nor the spirit of the original movie scene, ha!

It was not a Strauss waltz that accompanied this scene, nor was she in high spirits and laughing.

I give the video/audio maker here high marks for creativity.

Your answer remains sublime and perfect, though!

August 24, 2016 5:43 PM MDT
  • Bez

I'm still looking for "Sheena" on DVD, Welby. I still have my old VHS video of it which I bought in 1990. It's not an easy one to find these days. I hope you do get to see it. It's set in Kenya and has lots of animals in their natural habitat, so it's a must for animal lovers as well as being a good movie with a good storyline in its own right.

August 25, 2016 8:10 AM MDT

•   August 27, 2016 8:34 AM MDT

Hi, charface!

I've not seen this movie yet. (Shame on me.) Your clip is the most I've seen of it. I jumped a bit right at the end of the clip.

Those Coen brothers are always good.

Thanks for a great answer!

August 28, 2016 10:48 AM MDT

I probably should add it to my list of watch-me movies.

I've not kept up at all lately, hardly. And that movie is, I assume, from the late 1980's and I've still not seen it.

August 28, 2016 10:51 AM MDT

• Memorable?   "Desperado" comes to mind ... not a great movie, but I liked the intro.

September 23, 2016 1:42 AM MDT

Thanks for answering, ALF! I've not seen this movie and - wow -- those opening two-and-a-half minutes went places and did things I never expected. I won't ruin the effect for someone else in case someone else comes across your answer and watches.

This looks interesting enough for me to possibly want to watch the whole movie. And I see that Cheech Marin is in it. Cool.

Thanks, again!

September 24, 2016 11:58 AM MDT

• Hi Welby ..... the song is in Spanish, but the movie is in English as you might have figured out by the title screens. Anyway, if you watched any of his Zorro movies ... it's kinda like those.

Good talking to you again.

September 24, 2016 12:12 PM MDT

The Sound of Music had an impressive opening scene.  I took my grandfather to see it when I was about 18.
      May 10, 2018 2:53 PM MDT

And I tried to respond again two years later after that May 9, 2018 post of ours and it still happened, WelbyQ - - posts appearing all over the place in the thread and not under the person you were addressing. :)
    So, you deleted most of them. 
      March 18, 2020 12:44 PM MDT

March 18, 2020 3:30 PM MDT

Oh, god -- forgot about that one. Probably put it out of my mind. Great movie to me, saw it once.
    Thanks for answering, Stu Spelling Bee.

This was a long-ago question.

Thanks for all those "likes," too.
      March 18, 2020 3:35 PM MDT

I may have put it outside of my head because I got pretty upset watching that scene.
      March 18, 2020 5:10 PM MDT

I don't receive regularly alerts when people answer my questions. A glitch of some sort. Sorry for being so late, tom jackson.
    Yes, that movie's opening is majestic!
      May 22, 2018 4:09 PM MDT

No problem, WelbyQuentin.  I also like to respond to those who take the time to answer my question.
      May 22, 2018 9:20 PM MDT

I'm right there with you on that.
      May 23, 2018 8:18 AM MDT

Agreed! GREAT scene!
    this comment was intended for Sharonna who posted the opening scene to "Jaws" --  her answer disappeared in the last few seconds. It was here a second ago.

Geez --  check out this thread -- I'm talking and making comments to people no longer there, to no one most of the time -- everyone is gone.

EDIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Now the scene is back and it moved to a totally different place in the thread! And comments that WEREN'T there before have suddenly appeared .

I f'n give up This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at March 18, 2020 3:30 PM MDT
      May 9, 2018 6:51 PM MDT