Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Malizz
Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Would you like to watch a movie based on Luke 21:20-24 and the historical siege of Jerusalem from 66 - 70 C.E.?

Would you like to watch a movie based on Luke 21:20-24 and the historical siege of Jerusalem from 66 - 70 C.E.?

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/videos/#mediaitems/VODMoviesBibleTimes/pub-ivwf_E_x_VIDEO

(Matthew 24:15-22) “Therefore, when you catch sight of the disgusting thing that causes desolation, as spoken about by Daniel the prophet, standing in a holy place (let the reader use discernment), 16 then let those in Ju·deʹa begin fleeing to the mountains. 17 Let the man on the housetop not come down to take the goods out of his house, 18 and let the man in the field not return to pick up his outer garment. 19 Woe to the pregnant women and those nursing a baby in those days! 20 Keep praying that your flight may not occur in wintertime nor on the Sabbath day; 21 for then there will be great tribulation such as has not occurred since the world’s beginning until now, no, nor will occur again. 22 In fact, unless those days were cut short, no flesh would be saved; but on account of the chosen ones those days will be cut short.
(Luke 21:20-24) “However, when you see Jerusalem surrounded by encamped armies, then know that the desolating of her has drawn near. 21 Then let those in Ju·deʹa begin fleeing to the mountains, let those in the midst of her leave, and let those in the countryside not enter into her, 22 because these are days for meting out justice in order that all the things written may be fulfilled. 23 Woe to the pregnant women and those nursing a baby in those days! For there will be great distress on the land and wrath against this people. 24 And they will fall by the edge of the sword and be led captive into all the nations; and Jerusalem will be trampled on by the nations until the appointed times of the nations are fulfilled.

Posted - August 26, 2016

Responses

Here are a couple of links about the Roman siege of Jerusalem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Jerusalem_(AD_70)

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/jewishtemple.htm

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2015523?q=cestius+gallus&p=par

1. What events took place in 66 C.E.? (See opening image.)

IMAGINE that you are a Christian living in Jerusalem in 66 C.E. A lot has been happening around you. First, the Roman procurator Florus seized 17 talents from the sacred temple treasury. Immediately, Jews rose in revolt, slaughtering the Roman forces in Jerusalem and asserting their independence from Rome. But Rome reacted swiftly. Within three months, 30,000 troops appeared on the scene, led by the Roman governor of Syria, Cestius Gallus. The soldiers quickly entered the suburbs of Jerusalem, and the Jewish rebels retreated to the safety of the temple fortress. Next, the Roman soldiers started to undermine the outer wall of the temple area! Panic is spreading throughout the city. How do you feel as you see all of this happening?

2. What action did Christians in 66 C.E. need to take, and how was this made possible?

No doubt you remember the words of Jesus as recorded by the Gospel writer Luke: “When you see Jerusalem surrounded by encamped armies, then know that the desolating of her has drawn near.” (Luke 21:20) However, you may wonder, ‘How can I obey the instructions given along with that warning?’ Jesus also said: “Then let those in Judea begin fleeing to the mountains, let those in the midst of her leave, and let those in the countryside not enter into her.” (Luke 21:21) How can you possibly leave Jerusalem with so many troops surrounding it? Then, an amazing thing happens. Right before your very eyes, the Roman troops start to retreat! As foretold, their attack is being “cut short.” (Matt. 24:22) Now you have the opportunity to obey Jesus’ instructions. Immediately you flee to the mountains across the Jordan River, along with all the other faithful Christians in the city and its surroundings.* Then, in 70 C.E., a new Roman army heads for Jerusalem and destroys the city. But your life is spared because you obeyed Jesus’ instructions.

August 27, 2016 8:32 AM MDT

Yes, I would, Texasesimo! I do like Biblical history. Thanks! :-)
      August 27, 2016 8:51 AM MDT

Where's the movie? Or what's the movie's name? Oh, never mind I found where you wrote it under the question. I have an iPhone and can't see the whole screen.
      August 27, 2016 8:53 AM MDT

Tex, to be frank, no I wouldn't want to watch a movie based on Luke 21:20-24 or for that matter, any movie produced based on anything to do with the Bible. My reasons behind that is because movie-makers, regardless of their good intentions, more often than not take too much poetic license which includes adding too, taking away, or embellishing what's found in the Bible, just to try and sell it to the public. 

Of all the movies, based on the Bible I have watched, I have never seen one that follows with 100% accuracy that which is written in the Bible. Granted, there are people that would watch a movie about the Bible rather than read the Bible for themselves. But if, what they are watching doesn't completely represent what the Bible says, that could be dangerous to the ones watching and to the ones producing the movies. Just my feelings and beliefs.

August 27, 2016 2:58 PM MDT

• Yes.

I mean no.

August 27, 2016 3:09 PM MDT

God no.  Not if you suggested it. 

August 27, 2016 3:17 PM MDT

Yes. But I also believe that those verses are referring to the prophecy of Jesus' return and those are things listed that must take place before HIS return to reign and rule.
      August 27, 2016 3:22 PM MDT

Mathew 24: 15-22 has nothing to do with the fall of Jerusalem in 66 CE. It speaks of the end time prophecy !  It seems your Biblical history could use a little more fine tuning  !

August 27, 2016 3:58 PM MDT

I like to watch movies based on the bible.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/VA1sx-vyWVk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

August 27, 2016 4:23 PM MDT

August 28, 2016 6:12 AM MDT

• Only if there's a Marvel tie-in. 

August 28, 2016 6:14 AM MDT

I've watched movies that went contrary to the Bible such as one that showed Pharaoh surviving the Red Sea and one where after they killed Jesus the narrator said "in that day they knew that he was the LORD God" instead of in that day they knew he was the Son of God.

If you feel that their efforts would have to be motivated by money, you can send me some as I've watched the movie a few times and haven't seen where to pay or donate money.

The movie wasn't just a dramatization on the Bible but on the prophecy in the Bible as well as secular events that showed the prophecy was fulfilled.

From the comments, not many seem to know that the destruction of Jerusalem and the Temple was prophesied by Jesus.

August 29, 2016 4:36 AM MDT

You're welcome Marguerite and thank you for a kind response. Rare these days.

August 29, 2016 6:51 AM MDT

That was the first part of the question.

(Matthew 24:1-3) Now as Jesus was departing from the temple, his disciples approached to show him the buildings of the temple. 2 In response he said to them: “Do you not see all these things? Truly I say to you, by no means will a stone be left here upon a stone and not be thrown down.” 3 While he was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples approached him privately, saying: “Tell us, when will these things be, and what will be the sign of your presence and of the conclusion of the system of things?”

“Tell us,” they say, “when will these things be [resulting in destruction for Jerusalem and her temple], and what will be the sign of your presence and of the conclusion of the system of things?” In effect, theirs is a three-part question. First, they want to know about the end of Jerusalem and its temple, then regarding Jesus’ presence in Kingdom power, and finally about the end of the entire system of things.

August 29, 2016 6:53 AM MDT

Could it be that there was a two-fold fulfillment of that portion of Mt 24 and Luke 21? Did you see the three questions asked that Jesus was answering?

(Matthew 24:1-3) Now as Jesus was departing from the temple, his disciples approached to show him the buildings of the temple. 2 In response he said to them: “Do you not see all these things? Truly I say to you, by no means will a stone be left here upon a stone and not be thrown down.” 3 While he was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples approached him privately, saying: “Tell us, when will these things be, and what will be the sign of your presence and of the conclusion of the system of things?”

“Tell us,” they say, “when will these things be [resulting in destruction for Jerusalem and her temple], and what will be the sign of your presence and of the conclusion of the system of things?” In effect, theirs is a three-part question. First, they want to know about the end of Jerusalem and its temple, then regarding Jesus’ presence in Kingdom power, and finally about the end of the entire system of things.

Did you watch the dramatization?

August 30, 2016 3:16 AM MDT

Tex, I toured Jerusalem over two years ago. I will never forget this experience. I watched a movie based on the destruction of Jerusalem and how the life of a very wealthy priest changed, if only he and his family had heeded the warning to flee. The movie failed to mention who had given the warning.

September 10, 2016 11:08 PM MDT

Thank you for answering Autumn leaves.

September 12, 2016 3:06 AM MDT