Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Education » Is THIS the Future of American 'Education'?

Is THIS the Future of American 'Education'?

Read 'em and weep.  Where America's academic institutions were once the world-renowned bastions of free thought and expression, robust debate and genuine scientific skepticism, now students must cower in fear of saying something which might 'offend' another or, worse, might differ from the politically-charged, pseudo-scientific claptrap of faculty.

This is what higher 'education' looks like in the land of the 'free.'

Professors tell students: Drop class if you dispute man-made climate change

Festus High student suspended after holding up Trump sign at school pep assembly

Rutgers: to avoid microaggressions, only speak when 'necessary'

Rutgers: No such thing as 'free' speech

Posted - September 1, 2016

Responses

This is what five decades of American liberalism has wrought.  This is academic 'progressivism' in its fullest flower.

Khrushchev was right.

September 1, 2016 1:04 AM MDT

You forgot the  "platforming" of speakers who might bring viewpoints that differ with the mainstream and the setting up of safe areas for students who might get PTSD by the mere presence of certain speakers.

A sad situation, as questioning preconceived notions is central to the idea of education

September 1, 2016 2:10 AM MDT

Precisely!

As a student I didn't care what beliefs were held by my professors and fellow students.  I was there, secondarily, to test my own.  That can't happen in a climate of fear, coercion, suppression, etc.

September 1, 2016 2:15 AM MDT

It has passed ridiculous. 

September 1, 2016 2:38 AM MDT

It passed ridiculous during the Clinton administration. :-)

But like any other form of tyranny this one, too, depends on the WILLING cooperation of its victims.  If I were a student, and I'd read something like that, I think I would have spouted every "microaggression" which I could have contrived on a moment's notice.

September 1, 2016 2:41 AM MDT

I first heard the term "microagression" two or three years back when another university set up a similar program for people to report incidents anonymously online, whether they were a "victim" or a witness, which is exactly what Rutgers is now doing. The implications of this simply boggle the mind. If two friends are walking across campus and a third party sees or hears something occur between the friends that said third party feels is a "microagression" or "bias incident", they can make an anonymous report online of the "offense"...regardless of whether either of the friends the report was made about felt offended in any way.

This idea that people have a right not to be offended is pure unadulterated BS. Even worse is the idea that other people can now elect to be offended on your behalf, without your knowledge. Furthermore, these microagression warriors admit that these "microassaults", "microinsults" and "microinvalidations" may be wholly unintentional by the (perceived) "agressor", and could conceivably consist of any words, actions or inaction.

It is almost inconceivable to me that at a time when we have the greatest ability to freely speak in the history of mankind, as well as the most expansive collection of information ever available, all thanks to the internet, that campuses across this "free" country are stifling both speech and thought.
      September 1, 2016 3:14 AM MDT

Damnit!  Will you PLEASE say something with which I can disagree?  All this nodding is giving me a headache. :-)

September 1, 2016 2:35 PM MDT