Active Now

Malizz
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Family » How do parents of hyperactive children manage to avoid beating their children?

How do parents of hyperactive children manage to avoid beating their children?

Now, I don't have children, but if I had one of those hyper-active kids who was prone to running around the yard in circles for twenty minutes straight while waving his arms around and howling like a coyote, I'd probably end up beating the crap out of the kid. 

Posted - September 3, 2016

Responses

You would have to hug him really tight instead and not let go until he's calm. 

Or, why not just let him run around and expend the energy? Take him to a park, etc. What is beating the crap out of him going to do except give you a selfish release of anger and make him a f***ed up adult who hates you?

September 3, 2016 10:54 AM MDT

You are describing what most kids do---even non-hyperactive kids. That's what kids do. When you have your kids, you will love everything they do. They will be so cute! You will hug them, feed them, change their diapers, and love them unconditionally.
      September 3, 2016 11:11 AM MDT

That is a normal kid.  They have more engery than adults do.  Just take them outside and let them play....yes run, yes wave their arms, yes howl like a coyote etc.  It is good for them.

September 3, 2016 11:20 AM MDT

The first thing that comes to mind  is to hand the child over to a malevolent, sadistic neighbour for the beating.

It is quite possible there are other more socially acceptable solutions of course, but I cannot for the life of me think of any.

September 3, 2016 12:56 PM MDT

In America these days they drug them.  Yep, big pharma has convinced the government, doctors, teachers, counselors, and parents that it is just fine to drug your kids.  SHAME ON EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM!!!!  Kids can be and must be taught to control themselves.  We have been doing it for generations without drugging our children.   There is something very sinister and wrong about using these heavy duty drugs on children...........on developing brains. 

September 3, 2016 1:44 PM MDT

That does sound like a normal kid, as the others said.... sending them outside to do it is how parents manage not to beat them. lol Nah, the reality is, most kids are however their parents allow them to be. My kiddos are pretty good, but they're prone to throwing balls in the house and such... ok, I let them ride scooters inside, so maybe that's not the best example, but my point is, they know they can't get away with a 10th of that at their grandparents' house. My former in-laws have a very nice house, with very expensive statues, etc... the kids learned early on what was ok and not ok there, and so they behave differently at their house. So, generally speaking, the really crazy kids are that way because their parents let them be that way.

And, before I get scolded, yes, there are kids with genuine disorders who can't settle themselves, and yes, kids must have an outlet. My former MIL is great with the kiddos. She takes them outside or to the park all the time. She takes them to places where they can get that energy out, and they know when they go back to her place that they need to be mellow.

Similarly, I have different behavior expectations for my kids in different locations as well. I let them run amuck at home. I don't care if they're messy and loud. In public, if they cause a disturbance, we go and they lose privileges. I remember when my oldest was around five or six, we were at a department store and these kids were tearing up the toy aisle. My son turned to me, and very loudly and disgustedly asked, "Where are their parents?!?"

Should you become a parent, your own attitude towards them and the expectations you have will largely determine whether you're driven nuts by them. Because you come across as a highly-organized/ detail-focused person, I would expect that your little one would be carefully constructing the Eiffel tower,  to scale, out of blocks, and then promptly placing them back in the proper bin before he moved on to organizing his books by genre and author. ;)

September 3, 2016 8:26 PM MDT

September 3, 2016 8:50 PM MDT

• I suppose they understand AND ENJOY their children's hyperactivity. 

Not a mother myself, but parenting is also part of an individual's growing up; and to be effective the parent has to have the requisite maturity to handle a variety of situations that a child can create.

September 3, 2016 9:18 PM MDT

LOL!!!   

September 3, 2016 10:32 PM MDT

The parents are like children themselves, so they don't do anything but let their little brats be brats!

September 3, 2016 10:32 PM MDT

September 4, 2016 8:48 AM MDT

Think back to when you were a kid. How did your parents deal with your behavior?

September 4, 2016 8:49 AM MDT

I was always very suspicious about that so called disease, and my son's mother always acted like it was perfectly normal to keep a kid drugged for his entire childhood. When I took him anywhere, he was always well mannered and acted just like any normal little boy. Unless his mother was with us. Then he was an unpredictable brat. I figured that was because his mother expected it, and I would not tolerate it. I never beat my kids. A yank on the collar was my limit. After all, it is a parent's responsibility to teach his kids how to behave, and it's not right to punish the kid because you failed to do that. But any form of discipline works well as long as you are consistent. If you love a kid, it doesn't matter much if you beat him or not. If you don't love a kid, it doesn't matter much if you beat him or not.

September 4, 2016 11:43 AM MDT

Sign them up for football and they'll come back as losers and watch sports all day.

September 4, 2016 2:05 PM MDT

It's called being educated and understanding the reasons why they behave this way and how to manage the behavior.  If you don't know how to deal, you and the children will suffer the most hellish existence on earth.  And yet, if you just learn the process of dealing with them, you will become an enriched soul and you will also probably know more about meds and doctors in the process. 

September 4, 2016 2:59 PM MDT

• Patience, love, understanding, sometimes raising your voice, repeating yourself...a lot, distracting them, lots of hugs.

September 4, 2016 3:12 PM MDT

its not their fault, they can put them on meds

September 11, 2016 8:45 PM MDT