Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » Were there people like Atticus Finch, from the novel "To Kill a Mockingbird", back in 1936 in the Deep South?

Were there people like Atticus Finch, from the novel "To Kill a Mockingbird", back in 1936 in the Deep South?

Or was the author wishing for someone like this?

Posted - September 5, 2016

Responses

Please search Google.com for "Atticus Finch".

A topmost link is to the Wikipedia article, which in turn cites 27 references and 7 bibliograpy entries.

Author Harper Lee modeled the fictional Atticus Finch after her real-life father, Amasa Coleman Lee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atticus_Finch

So no, the deep south was not so purely evil or so steeped in some nefariously evil racist legacy that there could not really be people like Amasa Coleman Lee. Sorry to burst the bubble.

September 5, 2016 11:23 AM MDT

Hello M:

There sure were..  I'm proud to have known some of 'em..  Nahhh...  They're not famous.

excn

September 5, 2016 11:28 AM MDT

Yes, I'm fairly certain there were. As a matter of fact, there is a recently published book titled "My Father & Atticus Finch", and there are many similarities between Foster Beck and Harper Lee's character. Unfortunately, the real lawyer paid for the rest of his life, for his rigorous defense of a black man in the 1930's. 

September 5, 2016 11:29 AM MDT

Sure. 

September 5, 2016 11:53 AM MDT

There are people of integrity and heroes everywhere in every single town.  USA.

September 5, 2016 12:04 PM MDT

• Chased and hunted along with dem' der negroids dey done chose to help

September 6, 2016 10:32 AM MDT