Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » To peel or not to peel? Mushrooms. Do you or don't you? Why?

To peel or not to peel? Mushrooms. Do you or don't you? Why?

Posted - September 10, 2016

Responses

Don't ever peel....a quick rinse and cook or eat them raw....a bit of dirt never hurt anyone....it's actually good for your immune system and actually boosts it....
      September 11, 2016 7:02 PM MDT

Hi m'dear! You know Nj I NEVER knew that people peeled them. Then one day I was at a friend's house in the kitchen with her and I forget what she was making but it involved mushrooms. I was floored when I saw her  put them in a collander, rinse them, pat them dry and then peel them. I sometimes will peel the skin off a few if they release easily. I don't fuss with the firm ones. But now I won't do that.  We eat a lot of mushrooms.   When the price is right I buy a lot of them, rinse them and then slice/braise them till all the liquid has evaporated, cool them and freeze them. Then all I have to do is defrost and add them to other dishes. We use them raw in salads as well. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday to you! :).

September 12, 2016 1:53 AM MDT

Amazing things mushrooms Rosie.....some grow over night and have such thin wall structures but one single one can lift really heavy York Stone paving slabs weighing many hunderd weights....
    There's also one called a puff ball mushroom and just one when it spawns gives out enough seeds to completly cover the earth in mushrooms if they all take.....they are edible to and grow as big or bigger than a football....
      September 12, 2016 3:02 AM MDT

Whoa! You are a serious mushroom buff my friend! I did not know any of that! Have you ever gone "mushrooming"? I'd be afraid of inadvertently picking poisonous ones. I'm an Anglophile and I guess also a Mushroomophile.  But I'd be too nervous searching for/eating mushrooms. Are all the poisonous ones known? I guess that's a silly question. How do you know unless you can identify all the types of mushrooms and maybe some exist that have never even been noted or discovered yet. But I digress. I remember when I was a kid my mom LOVED mushrooms. I thought they were chewy but tasteless. Now I buy mushrooms every week!  So how did you come to know so much about mushrooms Nj?

September 12, 2016 3:25 AM MDT