Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Some "heterosexual" men in prison often engage in consensual sex, rape and assaults. Why is it prison officials can't find a way to put a stop to this

Some "heterosexual" men in prison often engage in consensual sex, rape and assaults. Why is it prison officials can't find a way to put a stop to this

I saw a program where prisoners are locked up 23 hours a day because of violence. Other than doing that, can you think of something that you might do if you were in charge of lowering the incidences of prison violence.

Posted - September 21, 2016

Responses

In prison, rape and the threat of rape is used as a form of inmate control and pacification.  In a mass incarceration scenario it'd be a bit harder to squelch  than in a more residential setting, but it can be and is tightly regulated when necessary.  (Most times, though, prison staff and administration simply don't care.)

BTW, those who engage in homosexual rape in prison are more often than not strictly heterosexual.  It's a myth that prison 'turns' people gay.  What is true, however, is that rape and the threat thereof is also used by the inmates as a way to assert dominance.

September 21, 2016 1:02 AM MDT

Can a man still claim to be heterosexual after having homosexual sex. I don't think so.
      September 21, 2016 11:24 PM MDT

I do.  A person's sexual preference doesn't change after being raped.  You might have a point, though, insofar as homosexual rapists are concerned.

September 23, 2016 12:40 PM MDT

They could stop looking the other way and sometimes even encouraging it.

September 23, 2016 2:20 PM MDT

They can and do, whether others agree with them or not.  This often happens in prison, in the service, and in the Muslim world...basically anywhere there is segregation of the sexes.  They consider it as a matter of addressing a need with the only other people available, rather than a lifestyle choice.  Often those who claim they are not homosexuals are tops, yet they consider bottoms to be homosexual.

September 23, 2016 2:26 PM MDT

Nimitz, I was referring to the rapist, not the victim.
      September 23, 2016 4:45 PM MDT

Maybe not homosexual but at least bisexual You can't put a paraahute on, go up in an airplane, jump out and pull the rip cord and not call yourself a skydiver. It doesn't matter if you were pushed out or you jumped out voluntarily.
      September 23, 2016 10:39 PM MDT

I did not say that I agree with their "reasoning", I simply explained it.

September 24, 2016 1:31 AM MDT

wonder if they become part of the problem

September 24, 2016 7:58 PM MDT