Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » Would you ride in a self-driving car?

Would you ride in a self-driving car?

Posted - February 9, 2020

Responses

Not if I can help it!

They are still far from being entirely reliable, practical and trustworthy in all traffic conditions; although one has just been successful tested over a long distance, in the UK.

For  now at least they still seem to need a real person ready to take over if necessary, so you may as well do all the driving.
      February 9, 2020 6:29 PM MST

Agreed.
      February 9, 2020 6:30 PM MST

Very doubtful.  When I was a kid I had to write about a great invention yet to come.  I suggested that streets had moving rails with hooks attached that cars had to hook onto to use the street.  The hook would lead the car until the driver indicated a turn in which case the car would be unhooked and rehooked to the newly chosen street.  This would continue until you were dehooked at your destination.  My teacher liked it.  My mother actually asked me if it was really my own idea.  She was such a positive force!

No, not anything I've seen or read about right now.  I would be more inclined if it operated like our mail robot back when I worked.....his path was created by spraying something (I'm not sure what) on the floor.  He followed that.  Stops were also sprayed onto the floor.  We all loved him and I wish I could think of his name but it just won't come.   This post was edited by Thriftymaid at February 10, 2020 12:03 PM MST
      February 9, 2020 6:33 PM MST

That sounds like San Francisco street cars. Heck...I imagined cell phones 35 years ago. My wife called me crazy.
      February 9, 2020 6:36 PM MST

Well sort of.  SF trollies traveled on tracks, so did New Orleans.  I remember visiting family in NOLA whose house was on a street divided by a median (they call it a neutralground) and that's where the cable cars ran.   My town had street car on tracks powered electrically by cable connections to power lines above the tracks.  When we got rid of those we changed to buses that were electrically powered the same way.  This I remember well from childhood.  Sometimes the bus/power connection would get broken and the bus driver had to take a long stick and go outside and "fix it."  Then the stinky buses finally arrived.  I haven't lived there in a long time but now the buses are natural gas powered.  

Note:  I may have used the wrong terms.  The actual differences of cable cars, streetcars, and trollies escape me. 

I pretty much witnessed the arrival of today's cellular service.  It grew from ship-to-shore and radio relay.  That small little group of AT&T had an office just down from mine when I was in legal/regulatory.   We knew that eventually the big block mobile phone would become what we were calling a PCD -- personal communications device.  While we didn't (at that time) envision a complete computer as part of it we did envision that it would replace land lines, fax machines, pagers, and time management systems with one device and one telephone number.   We just could not imagine that ever coming to fruition....we meaning my own department and co-employees.  It surpassed all of that a long time ago.  :)  I have a land line and a flip phone.  I'm free.  You are too. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at February 10, 2020 12:19 PM MST
      February 9, 2020 6:51 PM MST

• No thank you.  We have a feature on our car that is supposed to stop the car when you get close to the car ahead of you.  I won't even try that .. just don't trust it.  
      February 10, 2020 1:08 AM MST

But...the ads say it will make you a better driver.
      February 10, 2020 12:20 PM MST

• And that makes sense?  LOL!
      February 10, 2020 1:53 PM MST

There is no limit to human stupidity.
      February 10, 2020 5:06 PM MST

You bet, I'm at that age where I won't driving much longer, especially at night. 
      February 10, 2020 7:05 AM MST

No.
      February 10, 2020 7:49 AM MST

Maybe, someday. I am intrigued by the cars that park themselves. It seems like an improvement over some of the parking skills I see on a daily basis.
      February 10, 2020 8:20 AM MST

No.  Absolutely NOT.  I like to drive too much and I don't trust them.  They don't know the circumstance and will cause more problems. It's like robots.  Instinct and even emotion needs to come into play if a situation arises.

This may sound weird but I program myself when I drive by seeing myself arriving at my destination and safely arriving back.  No hassles.
      February 10, 2020 10:28 AM MST

As long as there wouldn't be any traffic and any immovable objectives in the way and only went 5 mph, I would try it for a hundred yards or so.

February 10, 2020 11:52 AM MST

That sounds like you are taking a tricycle out for a spin around a track...
    Big Giggles!
      February 15, 2020 3:32 AM MST

yes u can get self driving cars without a license.
    it can be compatible with Alexa.
    u can ask "Alexa, drive me to work" and It will drives u to work
    u can ask "Alexa, drive me home" and It will drive u home.

February 14, 2020 2:32 PM MST

Does Alexa have a license?

February 15, 2020 3:35 AM MST

I wonder if I said, "Alexa, drive me to the nearest bar so we can have a beer together." if it would do that.
      February 16, 2020 2:21 PM MST

It probably would but sometimes Alaxa has a hearing problem and it might think you said - Alexa drive me into the nearest car so maybe you should use the word tavern instead of bar. Cheers!
      February 16, 2020 2:32 PM MST

No,I don't want to wake up dead .....What happens when the car is out of warranty and its electronics are not maintained....one tiny fault and you could be in for a smashing time at your own expense of course....
    What if the car speeds ,who pays the speeding tickets ? or parks in an illegal parking area... 
      February 15, 2020 4:40 AM MST

How many electric things do you own that one day new or old just stops working ..:(
      February 15, 2020 4:41 AM MST

• Sure!  Why not?  That allows me to just sit there comfortably without a care in the world and concentrate on important things like looking good. LOL!

February 16, 2020 3:03 PM MST