Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Recreation » Have you ever been tent camping? For how long? I and other scout leaders went on a yearly one week camping adventure with Troop 95 here.

Have you ever been tent camping? For how long? I and other scout leaders went on a yearly one week camping adventure with Troop 95 here.

Posted - February 9, 2020

Responses

I think the longest was 16 days.  It involved two destinations.  It would have been 19  but we stayed a few nights in a hotel between the two week-long camping destinations.  We had a nice big tent and loved camping PK.  PreKids  
      February 9, 2020 6:27 PM MST

Yeah...motel breaks for hot showers and soft beds.
      February 9, 2020 6:38 PM MST

You'll love this.  Both of my girls were in Girl Scouts.  When my younger was in first or second grade they had their two-night camp-out planned but the week before the even the weather forecast became very cold and the nights were going to be in the 30s.  We moms decided that it would be fine for the camp-out to be a camp-in at the Embassy Suites, which at the time was a higher end hotel with a huge beautiful indoor pool.The girls had a blast, the moms didn't worry, and the badges got sewn on the vests.  :)   
      February 9, 2020 7:37 PM MST

We teens would 'pretend' to be camping out, and we did have a tent. However, late at night, we all jumped on our bicycles and took off riding around like little motorcycle gang members. And yeah, I was a 'Boy Scout' too.
      February 9, 2020 7:15 PM MST

Made it 2 nights once and felt like I had been in a train wreck.
      February 9, 2020 7:37 PM MST

Many times, I was a scout. Haven't done it for a while, I'm getting old and bedrolls are harder to get up from than they used to be.
      February 9, 2020 7:44 PM MST

Yes. 

~
      February 9, 2020 9:06 PM MST

Indeed.
      February 10, 2020 12:47 PM MST

Two weeks on the river. 
      February 15, 2020 7:54 AM MST

(I and other other scout leaders and I)
      February 17, 2020 1:14 AM MST

Many times, starting with the Scouts (the word "Boy" was officially dropped from the title a few years before I joined, in the 1960s) and family holidays; then over some 40 years since then, on many caving weekends, holidays and expeditions in Britain, France and Norway.
      February 18, 2020 1:28 PM MST

• Well that's interesting to me.  I didn't know that "Boy" was officially dropped.  Wonder why.  I suppose it keeps being used as a matter of habit by people.  I'm curious, was the word "Girl" also dropped from the name Girl Scouts?  
      February 18, 2020 2:42 PM MST

See my reply below, to Jon.
      February 19, 2020 2:10 AM MST

I am a former Boy Scout (believe it or not). The word "Boy" is still part of the Boy Scouts And was never dropped (at least in the US) as is evident on their official website: https://www.scouting.org/ This post was edited by Jon at February 18, 2020 3:28 PM MST
      February 18, 2020 3:27 PM MST

Jon & Twinkle Dink.

The continued use of "Boy Scout" and "Girl Scout" in the USA reflects a degree of national autonomy - and perhaps a trait for giving adopted inventions new names to disguise the fact! The are still male and female Scouts with a capital "S" but with an approach tailored to suit their country's society generally.

Scouting generally was invented and started in Britain by Baden-Powell, originally for boys and called the Boy Scouts. it was not very long before his wife Olive instigated the female version called the Girl Guides - never "Girl Scouts" as the Americans re-named them for some reason. 

In the 1960s, the movement's umbrella organisation, the Scout Association, realised Scouting was becoming seen as rather out-dated in some respects, harming recruitment, so it modernised the methods to reflect contemporary social developments whilst keeping its basic ethos and teachings.

Among the changes in place before I joined:

- Dropping the words "Boy" and "Girl" from the Scout and Guide titles (I'm not sure, but the latter may have come later.)

- Up-dating the uniform for those actually titled Scouts by age-range. The shorts were replaced  by long trousers, the brimmed bush-hat by berets. The Cubs (younger boys) kept the shorts as being general in life then for boys up to around 12

- Modifications to the range of skills it taught, again reflecting developments in modern life. This has continued and I would be surprised if for example, modern Scouts cook "dampers" (unleavened bread rolls) and boil water over open wood fires, these days! 

There was some resistance to the changes from  a few old die-hards who went off and formed a similar organisation more allied to the older Scouting ways, but I forget its name and I do not know if it has survived.

There is also the older and still active Boys' Brigade, founded in Glasgow in 1883, somewhat similar but with a heavier emphasis on Christianity than the more secular or inter-demoninational Scouts. 
    +++

For my own part, I was not in the Scouts for long but my brother was, and our family  maintained background links for quite some years afterwards, with our Dad playing a leading part in the local troop's supporters' association (looking after its assets including the building, separate from being a Scout Leader or instructor).

It introduced me to a certain degree of self-reliance, and taught me practical skills I have used over the years since, particularly knot-tying, map-reading and of course the ability to camp in tents properly so reasonably comfortably and safely, in any but extreme weather.

February 19, 2020 2:50 AM MST

Lots of times and we always made it a 10 day adventure. We would ride our mountain bikes that were loaded with all the camping gear to the camp ground and we would hunt and gather a lot of our food. We always had the coolest  camp site in the camp ground. A 20 foot Canadian flag  pole that I made from threaded rubber dingy paddles. A fridge that used water evaporation to keep our food cool. A Hot tub - it was a blow up kids pool that I put inside a tent and we would heat water on the fire to fill it plus it had a metal pipe that ran from inside the tent to the campfire to heat the air inside the tent. I also had a bike trailer that I made and it came in handy for fetching water and gathering firewood. Cheers!
      February 19, 2020 10:51 AM MST

Wow! Quite an adventure!

I remember a friend once making a cooler from a plastic storage-drum perhaps a foot in diameter and two feet high. (We were camping from our cars though they were parked about 100 yards away; and in SE France in Summer.) 

He simply placed it in the shade of some trees, poured cold water into it then draped an old towel over the edge so it wicked water up to where it would evaporate.   The food was all in plastic boxes and bags in the water.
      March 1, 2020 2:53 PM MST

Yes many times and many places since I was about 4.  Last grand adventure was the 'W" in Patagonia - Torre Del Paine National Park Chile two years ago for 11 days backpacki ng.  Lesser trips are generallay weekend hikes hut to hut EU, when back Stateside in and around Yellowstone for a few days
      March 3, 2020 9:29 AM MST