Danilo_G
Adaydreambeliever
Twinkle Dink
Jon
WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH
Kidddas53
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » Is there a dumb gene?

Is there a dumb gene?

Posted - February 11

• 4706

In a manner of speaking, yes. A study of genetics would show you that there are numerous genes that are benign, or have no discernible function, or are leftover evolutionary “junk”. 

If you are asking if there is a specific gene that propagates stupidity, I would say that until proven otherwise, we really can’t discount it as some people’s best excuse. 

February 11, 2020 9:14 PM MST
    5

• 5449
    The only Genes I have met are smart.
      February 11, 2020 9:49 PM MST
    3

• 46227
    Not this inbred piece of dog vomit.

February 14, 2020 11:01 PM MST
    0

• 5449
    I have not met him. I was referring to people I have gone to school or worked with.
      February 15, 2020 7:34 AM MST
    1

• 7955
    I googled 'dumb gene' and one of the articles said that consuming too much junk food can cause the creation of a lot of irregular cells which can impair intelligence and general health as well as enabling cancerous tumors to begin.
      February 11, 2020 9:57 PM MST
    4

• 299
    Really? Thanks!
      February 13, 2020 6:08 AM MST
    1

• 1322
    Stupidity is not exclusive to people who are notably less intelligent than others. There are several everyday dumb actions that some supposedly intelligent people seem to have a certain proclivity for that they never seem to think about until after the fact when the reality of it sinks in. These are things most of us – myself included – do with a kind of blind routine; subconsciously at times, without even realizing it.
      February 12, 2020 7:05 AM MST
    4

• 3387
    Brilliant answer.
    Wish I'd thought of it myself. 
      February 13, 2020 12:46 PM MST
    1

• 1322
    Thank you much.
      February 13, 2020 12:56 PM MST
    0

• 46227
    Like thinking Trump is a good President despite daily reminders of his gross incompetency?  I'm sorry.  There is NO excuse.  NONE.  That is CHOOSING to be IGNORANT.  And there is NOTHING stupider than that choice.
      February 13, 2020 12:55 PM MST
    2

• 3387
    Non-sequitur.
    For this statement to make sense, one would have to first agree that Trump is intelligent despite his mistakes. He calls himself bright because he passed his exams in business at an Ivy League uni which tops the world in business and economics -but no one knows whether he earned that degree honestly.
    What we do know from the evidence is that he's very good at Machiavelian deals and relationships - I call this the "sly fox" type of intelligence. It means that no matter how impulsive his Tweets are, we can never know how honest he's being, what he's really thinking or how he's operating behind the scenes. From the results, we can trust only one thing - that his motives always favour the plutocrats.
      February 13, 2020 3:39 PM MST
    3

• 46227
    No matter HOW you arrive at the end result?  I am thrilled.   I would be more thrilled if Trump was a non-entity. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 14, 2020 11:05 PM MST
      February 14, 2020 8:42 AM MST
    1

• 3387
    By my ethics, the means matter just as much as the results.
    In Trump's, I doubt he has much in the way of scruples.

But actually I didn't say his end results always favour the plutocrats. But this is not necessarily because of his policies or behaviours. Rather, ever since deregulation, governments have had far less influence over economics. 
    Trump's attempts to partially re-regulate by imposing import tariffs and exiting form free trade agreements have tended to backfire. Meanwhile, America's economy has improved with a GDP growth between 2 and 3% and improved employment statistics -- good, for sure, but nowhere near America's strongest phases of growth. Growth was 5.5% achieved in the second quarter of 2014 during the Obama presidency and wages rose 1.5% but employment fell. Growth was strongest throughout the Western world in the 1950s and 60s. In my view, there's far too much international debt to make real growth a viable prospect.
    All the bruhaha about making America great again is just sloganeering. The truth is that whether the economy picks up or slows down is far more due to interactive global economic processes. 

It's worth questioning the apparent imperative for growth. It is one of the major drivers for outputs of greenhouse gases.

When I'm looking at right versus left politics, I'm flummoxed by the arguments that capitalism works better economically than socialism.
    For instance, Australia spends 8% of its annual income from taxes on public health and medicine. Anyone can access it at choice. The system is a mix of private health insurance, partial public funding for GPs and listed medicines. The rural and city hospitals are all public-funded but many of the small hospitals are private.
    By contrast, America spends 16% of its taxes on public medicine, but this is available only to people who are retired or on social security payments - i.e., the most poor and destitute. And the number of adverse outcomes is far higher than in Australia.
    So why is one system universally available, producing better outcomes and costing half as much?
    The answer, according to the analysts is that every single product and service in American medicine is charged at a far higher rate - a rate considered outrageously over-priced by the rest of the world.
    There's also another consideration. The litigious nature of American culture; if someone does the wrong thing sue them. This means the insurance premiums for doctors and hospitals are enormously high. I forget the names, but I once heard an ABC interview with the managing director of America's cheapest and most successful hospital. The journo asked how he managed it. He said that he had a twofold strategy for dealing with lawsuits: first, establish best practice in prevention of mistakes, infections and adverse events and, second, always admit a mistake immediately and whenever possible offer free medicine to correct the error before a patient or family has the chance to accuse. The open honesty policy resulted in far less anger and far more acceptance. With fewer lawsuits, their insurance premiums dropped to 25% less than any other hospital in the US - hence they were able to charge less for their services and still make a greater profit.
    Probably this last paragraph was something of a digression from the main topic.

What I wanted to show was that all the sloganeering about capitalists having the last laugh on economic success is actually a lie. There are plenty of socialist-democracies who can demonstrate that public funding for public services is economically far more thrifty and effective.
    It's only the plutocrats who benefit from keeping as many social services possible in private hands.

February 14, 2020 11:42 AM MST
    1

• 3387
    Thanks so much for the pick, Cosmic. 

Ho ware are you going?
      February 14, 2020 3:30 PM MST
    1

• 46227
    Yes.  There are ZOMBIES.  People who have sold their souls and not realized it.  Because they may know how to tie a shoe, but they have not learned how to develop emotionally.  They think if they behave a certain way, they will be accepted and life will be easier.  

That is really stupid, but smart people vote for Trump all the time.  
      February 14, 2020 11:03 PM MST
    1

• 6499
    So you can tell a Trump supporter by their awkward walk and lack of consciousness?

In zombies, the heart, lungs, and a small part of their brain still work. They may react to their environment, but they do not have consciousness.
      February 17, 2020 4:17 PM MST
    0

• 1859
    Not sure .. but there are pretty dumb jeans!  :)

two-piece jeans?
      February 12, 2020 7:18 AM MST
    5

• 46227
    Yes but the shoes and socks make the look complete.  Completely stupid and fugly.
      February 13, 2020 1:01 PM MST
    1

• 1859
    Tres chic!!!
      February 13, 2020 4:20 PM MST
    1

• 299
    Hey Ralph!
      February 14, 2020 8:37 PM MST
    0

• 46227
    This is Hugh's wife, June. Not Ralph's wife Alice.   And it is Mrs. Cleaver not her husband.  

February 14, 2020 11:07 PM MST
    0

• 5099
    Totally manifested in POTUS
      February 12, 2020 2:21 PM MST
    4

• 9207
    The amount of intelligence on Earth is a constant. The population is increasing. Ergo, people are becoming incrementally dumber by the generation.
      February 12, 2020 5:00 PM MST
    2

• 3387
    Huh?
    That doesn't make logical sense to me.

If something is a constant, then the rate or proportion of it always remains the same.
    If 1.5% of babies are born with an intellectual developmental disability then, in the absence of environmental factors, this rate remains constant no matter how much the population booms.
    Sure, if the population increases then so does the number of people with impaired brain function - but the rate or proportion remains constant, meaning exactly the same.

February 13, 2020 12:58 PM MST
    0