Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I think there is no such thing as a "bad influence". People don't make people do bad. People help people REVEAL themselves. Right?

I think there is no such thing as a "bad influence". People don't make people do bad. People help people REVEAL themselves. Right?

Don't blame anyone's death spiral on don. He didn't make 'em evil. He just helped to bring them out.That includes his base of course. They were waiting for him to come. He did.
So instead of excoriation there should be celebration. Ripping off the masks of others to show what they really are? Thank you don. Job well done.

Posted - February 12, 2020

Responses

As Jessica Rabbit said ... "I'm not bad.  I'm just drawn that way."   lol

If one believes that we are influenced by our environment ... it is the other people in that environment which is what influences us.

The inanimate objects don't influence us.
    It doesn't matter if you grow up in a mansion or the ghetto.
    If you are surrounded by honest people, you will lean towards being honest.
    If you are surrounded by dishonest people, you will lean that way.

Other than the rare person who is "born bad", we are influenced by the other people in our lives.
      February 12, 2020 9:47 AM MST

All you say may well be true for many or most people. It is not now nor has it ever been true for me. I AM influenced by highly intelligent people who are kind, considerate and willing to share what they know without making me feel stupid. I admire people who go out of their way to help others..especially those who do so at their own expense. I am drawn to people who value honesty intelligence kindness caring and accomplishment. I have never ever been drawn to successful people who did whatever it took to get what they wanted. Money is not my carrot. Success is not my carrot. Fame is not my carrot. What is? Learning about things I didn't know. I have ALWAYS been that person Walt. From my earliest memory I always was drawn to those who could teach me things. Not give me things but teach me things. Most of what others admire adore I don't. I am a solitary person. In many ways I am extremely antisocial. I stay to myself most of the time but when I do come out I only spend time with people who do not waste my time. I don't have any to spare. I ignore more people than I engage with. It is my nature to be very selective. I know what works for me and what doesn't. I mean I look forward to chatting with you even though sometimes you tick me off bigly and I know I do the same to you. But underlying all of it you very kindly share what you know with me and I never feel that you are remotely patronizing. That's true of all the folks I chat with. I expect others are more expansive forgiving. I'm not. I stay in my lane. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday! :)
      February 12, 2020 11:11 AM MST

I think you misread my post.

I was saying that most people ARE influences by other people.

When we are children, we are influenced by those around us ... generally chosen by our parents.
    IE: who their friends are, if they take the child to church or other social gatherings, family, etc.

When we are adults, we are still influenced by those around us ... but we choose who that is.

I should state that while I firmly believe there are some people who are "born bad" - I also believe there are those who are "born good".
    In both cases, it doesn't matter how good/bad their environment is, they will always be "bad" / "good".

February 12, 2020 11:49 AM MST

Which reduces us back to the age old question. NATURE or NURTURE doesn't it Walt? Which influence is stronger? You are born with the DNA of RACISTS. You grow up being educated by them about how evil "the other" is. A double whammy. In that case Nature/Nurture are the same. But what if you move out, fall in love with a person who grew up oppositely? No racism no bigotry? Can the love of the person who is your opposite change you? You can't change your nature and you can't change your early nurturing but if you are lucky enough to find someone whom you love enough who can reach you maybe you CAN change for the good. I doubt that a really good person will change for the bad. Of course I can't possibly KNOW that. Thank you for your reply. I believe in a BAD SEED. A very good movie long ago with Patty McCormack showed us that. SIGH. This post was edited by RosieG at February 12, 2020 12:43 PM MST
      February 12, 2020 12:42 PM MST

I can't remember who the killer was, but I was watching a "documentary" the other day of their history.
    They were saying the person grew up impoverished, and got beatings for stealing torturing animals.
    Then when the person was on trial, they were assigned a social worker who tried to convince the jury not to give the death penalty - because the person grew up impoverished and didn't know better than to rob and steal, and the killing was an "accident".

My first response ... okay, the social worker KNEW the person was beaten for stealing and torturing/killing animals.
    How could they say the person "didn't know better" than to do those things, if they had been punished for doing them?!?

I guess the jury thought that, also ... since they gave the death penalty.
      February 12, 2020 1:21 PM MST

Yes and no.  The bible says - "Bad company corrupts good morals", and "Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble."  However, these verses (and others like them) are assuming that a person was "good" to start with. 

People love to seek affirmation for their actions - especially ones they know to be wrong.  They justify their actions as acceptable by saying, "If others are doing the same thing then it can't really be that bad".  Therefore a person inclined to do evil will seek out others who think/act the same way.  .  However, even those who are strong can be corrupted by bad influences.  If they ignore their conscience enough, it will become dull or even "reprogrammed". 

No one can make another person do anything.  I cannot make you drink a glass of water, but I can influence you.  I can act thirsty.  I can pour me a glass of thirst quenching water; the last few drops echoing inside the glass.  I can slowly drink a glass of cool, clear water in front of you (mmm... delicious).  I can even offer you a glass of nice, refreshing water.  (feeling a bit thirsty?)  Even so, I cannot make you drink it.

The people donny hangs around with were evil to start with (and many of their evils have come to light).  The people who follow him (trumpicans) are not "evil" (per se), rather they choose to ignore his wrong actions.  The more of them there are, the more comfortable they feel justifying these actions.  Eventually, their conscience becomes dull (in that area) and, in their eyes, what was once evil to them becomes good.
      February 12, 2020 10:19 AM MST

Here's what I think about that. Unless people are braindead idiots they KNOW what path leads them to a good place and what doesn't. The MOMENT I am in the presence of seedy people I get out immediately. I do not hang out or wait around. I do it here on Ansermug all the time. I engage ONCE with some people and then if what I get from them is EVIL in my opinion I simply ignore them completely thereafter. No one can force me to stick around anyone who makes me feel nauseated or disgusted or unclean. I think you know exactly what I mean Shuhak. Someone shows up on a thread and starts making suggestive dishonorable suggestions to you what would you do? Retreat and ignore forever more. I have done that countless times for all the years I was on Answerbag and all the years I have been here. The minute I am uncomfy I disappear. Period. Same thing in my real life. I know what I feel. We have talked about this before. I don't hang around "them" or their ilk. Why should I? They have nothing to offer me but a waste of my time. I have no time to waste so I don't. I go where I WANT to go and chat with those I enjoy. Period. Thank you for your reply! :)
      February 12, 2020 11:00 AM MST

While I would like to think that all men have a choice about whether to do evil, theoretically the will can only choose what it perceives to be "good."

And some people say that when we act out of our "free will," we are acting out of absolute determination.

And then I remember someone posting on here that behavior is over-determined (I.e., it has multiple causes) and that differential diagnosis and differential remediation are necessary.

---I'd forgotten how easy it is to post and not answer the question.

February 12, 2020 1:20 PM MST