Active Now

Randy D
Thebigd
ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Was there ever a kid's movie that SCARRED you?

Was there ever a kid's movie that SCARRED you?

I'm still trying to work out in what universe Watership Down was supposed to be a "kids movie". I had nightmares for weeks.

Posted - February 14, 2020

Responses

The first time I saw Bigfoot and the Hendersons...Apparently everyone in our home jumped out of our skins when BigFoots head fell down onto the car windscreen....I think my dad screamed the loudest...
      February 14, 2020 5:39 AM MST

I'm with you on Watership Down.
      February 14, 2020 9:50 AM MST

I rarely watched kid's movies. Heck...I rarely watched any movies.
      February 14, 2020 2:51 PM MST

I was not a big fan of Captain Hook.  

The witch in the Wizard of Oz scared me until I was about 6.

Those two were the big ones.

I do not remember Captain Hook being hot.  

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 15, 2020 1:20 AM MST
      February 14, 2020 2:57 PM MST

I never read Watership Down or saw the movie.  I need to do that.  
      February 14, 2020 3:01 PM MST

• Kids movies used to be food BECAUSE they were dark.  Same goes for fairy tales.  This rainbows and everything nice nice crap is part of why KIDS ARE nightmares now.

It's good to scare kids a little, they need that. Skin then up for later in life.
      February 14, 2020 5:07 PM MST

Kids need truth.  Fear is not truth.  Not remotely.  There are better tools for kids than scaring them to death.  Not the right take.

But Fairy Tales are cool.    They need to be taken seriously, but they also need to present tools to survive the truth.  

They always have a way out.  Even the worst ones.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 16, 2020 7:43 AM MST
      February 14, 2020 5:17 PM MST

• Darkness and macabre is most certainly truth.  Having harmless stories cause fear is a good thing. It teaches kids, and adults, how to process it and how.to.deal.with it a safe situation so you aren't shock and awed by it in bad situations.  It's this protection of " innocence" and from dark and scary then we that is why kids grow up and are just dumb founded and hit on the face by the big bad scared world when they grow up.   They never learned how to process fear because they were shielded from fears and the darker truth while they are in their  development years.  So we then diagnose then as late teens and give them a script  of dealing with it pills.

If course a kid shouldn't live in fear of dad beating mom or where the food is coming from next. But that isn't what we are talking about.  We are talking. About kids stories being somewhat realistic and not all unicorns that never die and princesses that are always beautiful and always live happily ever after in a perfect castle of rainbows 

We had children so.much these days thinking they cannot handle shut they clearly can and have had no problem handling ever before. They aren't as fragile and delicate as people act like they are these days. In fact, this post kinda shows its the adults who are  kinda fragile. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 14, 2020 11:21 PM MST
      February 14, 2020 11:18 PM MST

I think we forget what it is like to have the tender mind of a child.    Here is what changed my mind.  Sai Baba. I am not going all  re;ogopis on you.  I got introduced to a new culture. 

I saw Indian children.  And they were raised in Indian families who were spiritually[minded.  They embraced values.  The kids not only got it, they lived it. 

And there are plenty of demons in Indian culture. The scariest.  But they are presented in a sane manner that makes the kids aware of what the demon represents.  Let's face it, kids in other cultures are way smarter than here.  They have wisdom.  Kids here are brilliant, but they have no guidance like the ones who come from India.  The parents talk the talk and walk the walk.  When a kid has support like that he can lick the world and face any sort of demon.  

But I get you.  Kids that are sheltered and coddled are kids that are gonna get sick and die real early on when they have to face the real world. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 14, 2020 11:29 PM MST
      February 14, 2020 11:26 PM MST

I remember that there was a clip from a movie shown on early-evening TV when I was about 7 or 8 years old (this would have been in the early '80s)...I don't remember what it was called.

In this scene the boy protagonist is looking in a full-length mirror and can't see his own reflection. And then some kind of monster appears in the mirror, and the mirror spontaneously cracks. I don't think I was visibly scared at the time, but I remember for months afterwards I couldn't bear to look in a mirror unless someone else was in the room with me!

If you know what it is, please don't post an embedded video - I don't want to relive the trauma! 
      February 15, 2020 1:22 AM MST